NetInfo Manager needs Internet access?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel mini early 2011 4GB
Is it normal for NetInfo Manager to want Internet access?

My NetInfo Manager won't work unless the cable modem is "on" and allowing Internet traffic. With the modem off, it doesn't respond and I have to force quit.

I really don't want that modem on while I'm messing with root passwords and such.

I'm new to Macs and OS X, so there's probably something simple here that I don't understand.

I think I have Tiger 10.4.7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I'm new to Macs and OS X, so there's probably something simple here that I don't understand.

I think I have Tiger 10.4.7

If you are saying this then there really should be no reason for you to be even messing around in Netinfo Manager. I am a very experienced user and have yet to find a need to go in there

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are saying this then there really should be no reason for you to be even messing around in Netinfo Manager. I am a very experienced user and have yet to find a need to go in there

Maybe so, maybe no, but that ducks my question.

I'm very experienced with that other OS that has no protection at all from users. I'm accustomed to "rooting" around in it, and very successful at keeping it safe and running smoothly. I will learn OS X pretty quickly.

The reason I went into root was to back up data, manually, from the method on this page -

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106941

That done, I should disable the root account. NetInfo Manager is an often-used method, I'm given to understand.

Now how about the question - Is it normal for NetInfo Manager to need Internet access?

If the answer is no, then I appear to have a problem. If yes, I'll probably have more questions.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm concluding that this is probably normal behavior. It is, after all, "Net"Info Manager, and it works perfectly if I allow Internet traffic.

Does anyone else have an on-off button on their modem and is willing to do a quick test? Turn the button off, then open NetInfo Manager and tell me if you get the window or if it hangs? You wouldn't have to do anything in there.

It would be a big help to me learning about the workings of OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I'm concluding that this is probably normal behavior. It is, after all, "Net"Info Manager, and it works perfectly if I allow Internet traffic.

Does anyone else have an on-off button on their modem and is willing to do a quick test? Turn the button off, then open NetInfo Manager and tell me if you get the window or if it hangs? You wouldn't have to do anything in there.

It would be a big help to me learning about the workings of OS X.
Before my last post I turned on my macbook which had no internet connection and the program opened fine

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before my last post I turned on my macbook which had no internet connection and the program opened fine

Thanks! I maybe have something wrong here.

I have the "Missing Manual" book and have gone through troubleshooting steps down to "reinstall the app". I'm not ready to try that yet. I'll just leave that app alone until I know more about this system.

This thread got moved to the hardware board anyway, so I think it's dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.