• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows vista search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
I'am currently running a Windows Vista rc2 on my laptop and I love how windows has done a pretty good job at "photocopying" Osx but one thing I dont get is there search.

When you search for something it displays windows runtime files and all this junk, and last is the fricken program. Second when you delete a file or shortcut it still comes up on the search so I will search for something it displays files that no longer exist. *** microsoft why would I want a file, THAT DOESNT EXIST?!?!

Otherwise its ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
lol you know that photocopies are never perfect.

Reaction score
I'am currently running a Windows Vista rc2 on my laptop and I love how windows has done a pretty good job at "photocopying" Osx but one thing I dont get is there search.

When you search for something it displays windows runtime files and all this junk, and last is the fricken program. Second when you delete a file or shortcut it still comes up on the search so I will search for something it displays files that no longer exist. *** microsoft why would I want a file, THAT DOESNT EXIST?!?!

Otherwise its ok.

Just make sure when you delete stuff, you empty your trash to stop it showing up in any search you perform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I've used Vista and I don't think it's a copy of OSX, I struggled to find any major similarities.

The only similarity I found was that they had "jazzed" it up more, it still feels and works like a Windows OS not like a Apple OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I've used Vista and I don't think it's a copy of OSX, I struggled to find any major similarities.

The only similarity I found was that they had "jazzed" it up more, it still feels and works like a Windows OS not like a Apple OS

Really...To me Vista seems a lot like XP. The only thing I'd say is similar (and the implementation is way different) are the "gadgets" on the sidebar, but then again, Apple didn't invent those with Dashboard either-- gDesklets in Linux/Gnome and Konfabulator were around before either, I believe. I run Linux (Kubuntu 6.10), XP, Vista RC2, and OS X on my various computers. Each has it's unique features and strengths, and each has copied the others at some point or another.

I find myself liking Vista a lot more than XP now that I've been using it for a few weeks, but you're right, I'd struggle to find much similarity with OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.