VPN/best way to connect

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Hi,

I want to be able to connect to my home network when I'm out and about on my laptop visiting clients, etc. I assumed that I would just use VPN but after doing a search and some reading I'm pretty sure that this probably wouldn't be the best way.

Can anyone suggest the best way for me to connect to my main mac? FTP? Can I just set it up as a server on my mbp using the IP address?

Pretty in the dark here so any pointers gratefully recvd!

Thanks

Ad :spook:

Happy Halloween!

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to be able to connect to my home network when I'm out and about on my laptop visiting clients, etc. I assumed that I would just use VPN but after doing a search and some reading I'm pretty sure that this probably wouldn't be the best way.

Can anyone suggest the best way for me to connect to my main mac? FTP? Can I just set it up as a server on my mbp using the IP address?

Pretty in the dark here so any pointers gratefully recvd!

Thanks

Ad :spook:

Happy Halloween!

Hi Ad, a bit over my head but will this help:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106661

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Marty = that's what I do to connect at the moment locally - just wasn't sure if it would work across the internet.

Now - will it be secure? Can I use SSH in anyway?

It's a bit over my head too lol

Ad

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And another question:

If my mac at homes goes into sleep - will trying to connect to it through TCP/IP wake it up?

Cheers

Ad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.