Did the guy at the genius bar just take the easy way?

Reaction score
i brought my mb in because its Rss has been getting really bad and the guy at the genius bar just Downloaded the firmware update no diagnostic or anything. I told him that i heard it might be a hardware issue and he said that was only in isolated cases and that this is what apple thought was the best solution.

Was this the best solution or was the guy just trying to get me in and out in 5 mins?

edit: forgot the macbook prefix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
What do you mean by "Rss"?

The news feed?

OP
J
Reaction score
Random shutdown syndrome...sorry picked that up from a diff mac site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Sounds like to me they followed Apples repair instructions instead of listening to hear say from a internet forum....

E

ExTrEmE

Well that update is to repair the problem. but i got a macbook replaced after the update came out and i experienced that problem and they replaced the heat sync anyways they also replaced a lot of parts

OP
J
Reaction score
here say from an internet forum or common sense fixing a heat sink problem with a firmware update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Was this the best solution or was the guy just trying to get me in and out in 5 mins?
If the issue was resolved and taken care of, then yes, that was the best solution. The firmware update that he installed was created for just that problem. The proper way to offer tech support is to start with the smallest, easiest, and simplest thing first... then work your way up. You also have to understand that this person has more than likely seen the same issue before with other systems, all having the same exact symptoms as yours and he just knows that the firmware update is the best route to go as it has worked every time before. The length of time that a tech support person works on an issue or how long it takes to resolve an issue is irrelevant. What matters is if the issue was resolved or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I also have the shutdown problem with my wifes Macbook. I installed the update last night and i am waiting to see if it happens since sometimes it wouldnt do it for several days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
If the issue was resolved and taken care of, then yes, that was the best solution. The firmware update that he installed was created for just that problem. The proper way to offer tech support is to start with the smallest, easiest, and simplest thing first... then work your way up. You also have to understand that this person has more than likely seen the same issue before with other systems, all having the same exact symptoms as yours and he just knows that the firmware update is the best route to go as it has worked every time before. The length of time that a tech support person works on an issue or how long it takes to resolve an issue is irrelevant. What matters is if the issue was resolved or not.
My thoughts exactly

Reaction score
my brother works for the genius bar, and said half of the time they have to do what apple instructs them to do and usually it involves just doing the simplest thing first then if i does it again they go to the next solution replaceing parts then if it still happens they replace machines...Its just a process they have to go through to make sure that they covered all the bases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.