email

Reaction score
is it possible to use the mail program that came with my macbook to open and view mail that is send to a yahoo or hotmail account--or in my case my college email account. if so how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It depends on the school, I know I go to seton hall and we have to use their website to get our mail we can't use a client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats awesome thanks! I was told that I couldn't so i didn't even look. I guess they tell you one thing but put anohter thing on their website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea I found it very hard to believe. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out the POP or IMAP address for the connection and even if it is an Exchange server you would be able to get the address of the exchange server from the URL they give you to access your email

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah its an IMAP, could not figure out the outgoing but atleast I can get my mail now with out logging in because most of the mail does not require a reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
On my school I need to have an IP address on the school's network to get outgoing to work. Maybe that's the case for you too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Back to laurit's original question: I use Mail Forward for OSX for my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts.

Technically, it forwards your email to another account that you can already POP to, but since I have an account at my ISP, it works perfectly for what I need.

OP
L
Reaction score
ive been trying this for a couple of days now and i cant seem to figure it out. i contacted my school's IT department and he told me that it is possible for me to use a client in order to receive and send email. he informed me that it is a 'POP3' account and provided me with incoming and outgoing servers. ive tried these servers with the MacMail client and i get the following error message:
"The POP server ?spam-srv1.lasalle.edu? is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the ?Incoming Mail Server? field. If it still doesn?t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable.

If you continue, you may not be able to receive any email."

if anyone has any info why i am getting this messge or what i can do differently please let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.