Ordered my new iMac 17" 2.0GHZ Duo !!!

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been a PC user for years and after my main box crashed on me yesterday :bomb: (again) I finally decided to make the switch. I have ordered the iMac core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ with 1 GB ram, 150GB HD and a 17" display. I hope I can get all the old data off of my two hard drives that are in the desktop that crashed. (the drives are fine, its the processor that crapped out.) Can anyone tell me if it is possible to plug them into an external IDE to USB adapter and just pull off what I need and then format them for use as external drives? Or will my new Mac have trouble reading a windows formatted drive? I was also hoping to reinstall XP on the usb drive and run it through Parallels whenever I needed it. The PC to Mac Switchers guide was helpful but it was a little vauge on this point. I have a 160 GB and an 80 GB drive that are both loaded with software, financial data, video and music. I have one IDE to USB adapter already and it works just fine with PC's. If I must I suppose I can just use my trusty laptop to burn all of the data to DVD's but I was hoping to avoid that. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
congrats and you will be just fine. I had to do that myself with my older imac. The new mac will be able to read the files and copy them over. Im not sure how the USB drive is going to be booting winXP though. you could always try it and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
I just ordered an iMac for myself as well. I should be getting it day after tommorow. I purchased a 17 inch core 2 duo iMac like yourself with 1 GB RAM. But I upgraded the processor to 2.16 gHz and the hard drive to 250 gb.

I've been a Windows user all my life, hopefully this transition will go smoothly!

Reaction score
Hi

I am having imac 17 " c2d for 2 weeks now and enjoying the switch but still haven't had the time to completely dig things. Hopefully can do now...... The only thing which is bugging me is the sound in imac, it's not really up to the mark.

I want to add one more thing - this forum is amazing - really helpful people here.
cheers kaps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
I just ordered an iMac for myself as well. I should be getting it day after tommorow. I purchased a 17 inch core 2 duo iMac like yourself with 1 GB RAM. But I upgraded the processor to 2.16 gHz and the hard drive to 250 gb.

I've been a Windows user all my life, hopefully this transition will go smoothly!
wether you like it or not, you're gonna like it.

Reaction score
You will be able to read your windows formatted hdd's on your Mac without any problems. I've had my iMac for a week now and have transferred lots of files from my old PC hdd using a usb caddy.

Congrats on your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
congrats dude, you will love the machine, i swicthed and will never go back to a windows machine.

once again well done on doing the smart move

Reaction score
Hello all! I've made the switch just as hundreds of other PC users out there and haven't looked back! I have been using a PC for over 12 years and have been a network administrator for 2 companies... I actually received my MBP C2D today. It screams, I sold my MBP a week ago and I must say there is a difference. I ordered the one with the 256MB video card and it rocks. I also applied the "invisible shield" and it looks even better!

Anyway to those that are contemplating on making the switch... just do it! You won't regret it. My $0.02. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
change also from 5 windows pcs to 2 imacs and 1 windows laptop

the windows laptop days are numbered though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
ya what is the invisible shield?

Q

Quruli

I swicthed a few months back and I am hopefully getting a MBP on the 13th, fingers crossed anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.