deleting stuffit temp files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
osx 10.4.8 2 GB RAM
hi all
i used 'WhatSize' to find out where chunks of memory have gone and came across gigs of what appear to be invisible stuffit temp files (.$$ Stuffit Temp ##########) are these safe to delete? and just how do i go about deleting them? i know nothing about, and am quite frankly afraid of 'The Terminal."
thank you
kaitlin

Reaction score
hi all
i used 'WhatSize' to find out where chunks of memory have gone and came across gigs of what appear to be invisible stuffit temp files (.$$ Stuffit Temp ##########) are these safe to delete? and just how do i go about deleting them? i know nothing about, and am quite frankly afraid of 'The Terminal."
thank you
kaitlin

While I can't really comment on your stuffit temp files, I did find a relevant link about recovering Hard Disc space.

http://creativebits.org/2004/11/os-x-free-up-hard-disk-space.html

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
osx 10.4.8 2 GB RAM
thank you for that article.
i figured out that 'Whatsize' allows u to delete the invisible files to a .Trash folder but then they have to be 'Moved To Trash' and deleted to totally lose them.
it's a very useful app but i really wish there was some documentation to support it. i just muddled tru it so i hope i didn't mess things up.
does anyone know where to find such documention? i've searched google and there is mention of it but i can't track it down.
thank you again

Reaction score
thank you for that article.
i figured out that 'Whatsize' allows u to delete the invisible files to a .Trash folder but then they have to be 'Moved To Trash' and deleted to totally lose them.
it's a very useful app but i really wish there was some documentation to support it. i just muddled tru it so i hope i didn't mess things up.
does anyone know where to find such documention? i've searched google and there is mention of it but i can't track it down.
thank you again

I did find this info which doesn't add that WhatSize doesn't tell the user what is safe to delete. What is noteable is that there is mention of two similar tools which may come with tutorials

WhatSize is a simple tool that allows the user to quickly measure the size in bytes of a given folder and all subfolders and files within it. You would be surprised at how many useless files might be laying around on your hard disks. The files and folders are automatically sorted by size, with the biggest sizes first.

While the app is measuring a folder the user can browse the files within that folder and immediately see the size in bytes. Hidden files, cache files, directories will all show up with their corresponding size. This application is similar to NeXTSTEP, DarkForest.

Once the measuring of a folder has ended the user can also view the information by filtering for particular file sizes or types. The user can also move unwanted files and folder in the corresponding Trash bin similar to the Finder’s Delete button.

Developed in Cocoa, Objective-C, the application makes use of multithreading, low level UNIX file system APIs, C programming and Obj-C method implementation(IMP) caching to achieve speed, low memory footprint and stability, unmatched by other tools.

I also found this which you may or may not have already seen:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2006/04/spaceutilities/index.php?lsrc=macgemsblog

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
osx 10.4.8 2 GB RAM
thank you!
i'd not seen the macworld info.
it definitely helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.