Can you get viruses on Parallels?

Reaction score
I know I have heard that with Boot camp you can of course get Windows Viruses but with Parallels since it's virtualization you can't. This sounds too good to be true but is it true you can't get Windows viruses on Parallels? What about spyware, etc? For example should I still use spyware checkers, virus checkers, a firewall, etc all on Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Parallels merely enables you to run a separate OS on top of OS X.

So whilst you're in that environment, you're susceptible to all of Windows' shortcomings.

So, yes you still need to run virus/spyware/trojan scanners.

Since Parallels uses your macs connection to connect to the internet you should be covered by OS X's firewall, so I don't think you really need a separate windows firewall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I know I have heard that with Boot camp you can of course get Windows Viruses but with Parallels since it's virtualization you can't. This sounds too good to be true ...
That sounds too good to be true because it isn't. Windows will always be susceptable to Windows viruses. It makes no difference if it is running natively or under emulation in OS X. Whoever told you that you can't get viruses in Windows running under Parallels is just plain wrong. :black:

OP
M
Reaction score
I figured that was too good to be true. Let's say I do get a virus though on the Windows side and it wipes out a lot of files, etc. Whatever damage the virus does is that limited to my Windows side meaning it would potentially wipe out my files, data, etc. on the Windows side but not affect anything on the Mac OS side or can it basically affect the whole computer? I think the key either way is anything you can run on the Mac OS X side do it, don't use Windows software unless you have to. My MBP just arrived an hour ago so I'm going to be working on that now.

Reaction score
I figured that was too good to be true. Let's say I do get a virus though on the Windows side and it wipes out a lot of files, etc. Whatever damage the virus does is that limited to my Windows side meaning it would potentially wipe out my files, data, etc. on the Windows side but not affect anything on the Mac OS side or can it basically affect the whole computer? I think the key either way is anything you can run on the Mac OS X side do it, don't use Windows software unless you have to. My MBP just arrived an hour ago so I'm going to be working on that now.

Windows viruses will ONLY affect your Windows partition and have NO affect on your Mac OS or files. However, you still need to be concerned with spreading viruses to other PC's. Your best bet is to run AV software on all your Windows machines including your virtual machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.