2 gb or 3 gb ram on new 20" imac???

T

tommyz

Just curious. I had the mac mini with 2gb ram and it felt fine - I had the 1.66ghz processor with 2gb of RAM - some tasks such as compositing photo's seemed to take some time - but otherwise it worked fine. I had it hooked up to my plasma tv - and the pic was great...

But - I'm trading up to an Imac that doesn't require me to take up my TV and have something in the office. Plus - I'm giving my sister the mac mini.... as I'm a new mac convert and now feel that everyone I know should have one. Its awesome (and yes - I work in the windows software industry).

But I'm stumped - should I bump up the memory along with the cpu to 3gig - or will 2 gig be just fine...

I use primarily rapidweaver, gimpshop, internet, and would like to get into doing some flash work (looking for the Adobe Web Bundle once I enroll in a local college for my masters).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I guess you have to decide if the upgrade from 2 to 3 GB is worth $575 US. To me it isn't, but it might be to you. I'm running a 24" with 2 GB and it is fast enough for anything I do... but it depends what you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
All the stuff you mentioned will run fine with 1gig, let alone 2. 3 would be a waste of money at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I'm sure in your case 1GB will work fine. If you really want to add more RAM I would just buy it from newegg.com and get much more value for your money.

OP
T

tommyz

Thanks - I ordered the 20" imac with 2 gig

of ram and upgraded the video card. I found a site that had run comparisons using the 2gig and 3 gig and the differences were not astounding. It seems that memory access and addressing is faster with "like" chips and although 3 gig is faster - it isn't like 30 percent faster - more like 10 percent doing a variety of movie editing tasks.

Now I just have to agonize while waiting for the new machine. I chose next day delivery - ordered last night and it says Nov. 7 for due date. This I find funny since the store says 2-4 days for delivery.

I had several complaints about the store though. Very difficult to use.

They say you have to be home for delivery - but don't give exact dates
Using my gift card was difficult
No ability to compare across machine on one page.

Tom

Reaction score
If you go aftermarket ram from newegg or somewhere it is definitely feesable, but if you are going to spend more on it why not get the 24 inch?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.