• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Surprised by comparison -- happy to have switched.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Been pleased with my 4 months with iMac. Was reminded afresh yesterday because a guest brought their new D*** 8600 laptop with them and we played side-by-side for a while. I had forgotten so many of the differences. Never going back. For what I (we, my guest and I) do, the iMac is vastly superior and much more fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
A typical experience I would say. For most people, once you dip your toes in the Mac pond, you never go back. Enjoy your Mac!

Reaction score
Its like going from a camaro to a ferrari. you never wanna drive that camaro after you play with a ferrari.

I switched back in july.... i will NEVER go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
i dunno a fine italian sports car vs raw american muscle, too different animals imho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
i dunno a fine italian sports car vs raw american muscle, too different animals imho

Isn't that exactly what Apple and Windows are to completely different OS's doing similar things but each has there own "speciality"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Been pleased with my 4 months with iMac. Was reminded afresh yesterday because a guest brought their new D*** 8600 laptop with them and we played side-by-side for a while. I had forgotten so many of the differences. Never going back. For what I (we, my guest and I) do, the iMac is vastly superior and much more fun.

So glad you stuck with the Mac. Knew you would love it after you got used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
I disagree to a certain extent. I've held onto a PC laptop and both my desktop machines are PC's, but I do love my Macbook. However, I couldn't really see myself dumping the PCs - they do excel in places where Apple has yet to delve into (such as the SLI video cards in my primary desktop)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
also a recent switcher (and new to this forum to boot)...

i just had a 17" HP laptop turn into a thousand dollar paperweight on me when it overheated it's video card.
while i have had years of decent experiences with wintel pcs and laptops, and i work in wintel server support, i kind of figured i didn't want to pay good money to have these kinds of experiences anymore. i also was intrigued by macs and was interested in learning about new hardware and software.

so one day at lunch after lamenting the demise of that huge laptop, i ran over to the apple store at the mall of america and picked up a shiny new white macbook (2.0Ghz/80G HD/1G ram).
i am very happy with my decision.

once i came to terms with the differences, and learned some of the basic ins and outs of the os and primary apps (and found a good replacement for itunes - yay audion! and the windows only forte agent) i was definitely feeling the joy!
though i do still kind of miss the sim gaming power of the 17" HP. simcity4 runs like molasses on the macbook, and tropico2 crashes periodically. and you can't find games like these on a ps2 or DS.

one problem i haven't solved yet... how do you open the apple menu from the keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
how do you open the apple menu from the keyboard?

you lost me here, why do you wanna do that? afaik, there is no apple menu. use Spotlight and tell it what you want.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Kulokoy, the apple menu...

you know, the menu that you access by clicking the apple icon on the top left of the screen...

;)

i posted a proper thread on this in the switch forum and got a decent answer - though i haven't tested it yet, browsing from work now on a wxp pro laptop.

[edit]thanks cjay, i'll take a look![/edit]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
oops,oic lol
got spoiled on xp hitting that windows logo key huh?
have fun with your Mac. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.