How to run classic mode?

J

jugle2much

Hello All,

I just recently bought an iBook G4 PowerPC pre-installed with Darwin OS. I decided to buy the proprietary version of Tiger 10.4 along with a CD containing OS 9.2.1. I've done a fresh install of Tiger but I am not sure how to install my OS 9 properly. I need to run several applications that only run on OS 9. Care to help out a n00b? I keep seeing sites that talk about using your restore CDs, but this doesn't take into account those who have bought refurbished Macs without software. What do I do? I'm clueless.

Thanks for your help!

~Chris

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't believe that OS 9 comes with the retail version of OS X. If it does it will be under optional/additional software.

OP
J

jugle2much

Bought a separate CD for OS 9

rman said:
I don't believe that OS 9 comes with the retail version of OS X. If it does it will be under optional/additional software.

No, I bought a CD containing Mac OS 9.2.1 separately. I'm not sure how to do a proper setup of it in order to enable classic mode to run under OS X. Thanks for replying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You need to install OS 9 first, then you can add OS X.
Alternatively, you could create two partitions and install OS 9 on one, then OS X on the other.

Either method will require you to wipe and reformat the hard drive.

OP
J

jugle2much

D3v1L80Y said:
You need to install OS 9 first, then you can add OS X.
Alternatively, you could create two partitions and install OS 9 on one, then OS X on the other.

Either method will require you to wipe and reformat the hard drive.

This may be a very stupid question, but how do you reformat your HDD with a Mac? Is it as easy as clicking and dragging your HDD to your Trash Bin? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Before you go about deleting your macs harddrive, I don't think you do actually have to delete your macs partition.

Try this:

aving also erased my hard disc, Apple instructed me to Install OSX first and then OS.9.2.2. But after much frustration I found I had to do more: create a System Folder, called exactly that, in OSX and locate on Hard Disc (OS.9.2.2 only does that if used as an upgrade). Restart your Computer and click Classic. A box should come up on the screen asking permission to update your Classic Files - agree. After this, you should be able to run Classic applications and use system preferences to boot up in OS.9.2.2. You should find the figure '9' has been added onto your System Folder folder.

Hope this works for you.

From this thread at Maxosxhints.com:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-9839.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.