A Mid-Range First-time Mac Notebook

S

Sarah

To be honest I am really into my PC.

However, for classroom activities I need a laptop. Nothing too expensive, just something powerful enough to play videos to a table of people.
I'm interested in getting a MAC laptop. Because - I won't use it so often (I have years of PC experience) but I would like to have a really pretty and new learning experience so thought I could benefit from learning about the MAC while I go.

My other half is going to the US in a couple of weeks. (I'm in Japan right now).

This is an opportunity to get some stuff from Newegg.com and bring it back to Japan. (It's more expensive here)
Can you recommened a mid range adequate MAC laptop and Operating system please? Thanks. Sarah

Edit: I just saw the Leopard Sneak Peak. Very nice! I wonder if vista will look or seem half as cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Even the entry level Macbook is very capable - sporting a 1.83ghz Core Duo - it would be more powerful than a low end PC Laptop, which often still come with Celerons or slower Pentium Ms. I'd definately invest in 1gig of RAM. I think the DVD Burner is a must too, but you might not.

A 2ghz Core Duo with a Gig of RAM will be plenty for you I think!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=A4791B5D&nclm=MacBook

Get the middle one. :p

PS - Vista is nice, but not as "cool". I ran the Beta for about 9 months... some of it is painful. :doctor:

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Mod note: Thread moved to better forum.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Sarah,
just got one of these myself (the one Zoolook pointed out), with an 80G hd. i'm also a recent switcher (from WXP).

i too was pretty happy with windows, and still am. i'm in server support for work, so i still use win XP pro, W2K3 server, W2K server, and even a few NT machines still.

part of my reason, like you said, was to learn another os. i've also been very pleased that it is a joy to work with once you get used to the tricks and shortcuts. i think for what you need you'll find it more than acceptable, and you may even find yourself gravitating towards it more and more in your leisure time as well.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wired - ignoring minor mistakes and either not posting or posting an answer to the actual question
tired - pointing out someone elses minor spelling or grammer mistake
retired - playing dumb to make someone else feel the same

[edit]sorry! i just had to. i've read other posts by you yogi and have been impressed (especilly in the outsourcing thread). just a little suprised by the comment - not tryint to be a jerk[/edit]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier attached to most forms of networking equipment.

Fair enough eric, us old timers can be a bit nit-picky sometimes :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i know it happens... ;)

used to admin a pretty big video game forum, i did it too, that's why i reeled it in a bit in the edit.

Reaction score
Sorry, I just got all cocky about it. Sometimes I like being an a-hole. And it was nighttime after a hard days work. No hard feelings :) ?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
never hard feelings. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Fair enough eric, us old timers can be a bit nit-picky sometimes :)

we can be a little bit can we? i appologize to everybody on the forums for when i make the same comment in the future.

go low end macbook, you will like it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.