airport with lynksys router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
hey guys, i got a lynksys 802.11b router and i'm trying to get my imac in the basement up on the network. i just installed my airport card and ran through the set admin. everything seems to be right but internet connect says thet the status is unavailable. the bar shows that the computer is reading the signal. but the internet wont work. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
hmm i have the same setup so you should be fine ill go through what my settings are right now

When you go into System Preferences -> Network --> Airport

In the airport button I have it set to default join the automatic
In the TCP/IP button I have it set to Using DHCP with it settin geverything automatic
In AppleTalk I don't have it active
In Proxies I have everything unchecked

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
i checked through and everything is the same as yours (trpnmonkey). after inistial setup is there anything else to do, or is everything supposed to work? the router is upstairs hooked to two pc's via ethernet. the only wireless connection is my imac. is there anything that needs to be done to the computers upstairs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
hmm nope you should be working fine right now

the airport bar is showing that you are getting a signal though and it shows the linksys network as the one you are connected to?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
yeah it all looks like it is connected but no internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
sadida31 said:
hey guys, i got a lynksys 802.11b router and i'm trying to get my imac in the basement up on the network. i just installed my airport card and ran through the set admin. everything seems to be right but internet connect says thet the status is unavailable. the bar shows that the computer is reading the signal. but the internet wont work. any help would be appreciated. thanks

You may have to set up the router using the online utility (you'll obviously have to use one of the wired computers to access it for now). I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but it's been a while since I did the initial setup on our Linksys. Linksys' site has some decent information and support that might help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.