admin password problems

T

toppridaren

Hi everone!

i'm new here and hope someone here with greater knowledge can help me solv my problem. I bought a fairly new macbook pro from i friend, beacuse i have the intention to format the hard disk and have a clean start , i didnt bother with keeping track on the notes he gave me.

When i try to start from the mac osx 10.4 instalation disk holding down the c key during startup nothing happens and it just logs in as normal displaying the desktop.

I'm quite new to mac and bought it from a friend just before he left on holiday to ASIA for tre months and didnt realise i needed the notes he gave me.

Question ? how can i change the admin password to be able to add programs or cleanout the hardisk and start all over again.

OP
T

toppridaren

Sherman Homan said:
Odd post, especially now that it has been "edited". If he is a friend, why don't you ask him?
i will but have to wait until the begining of januari when he comes back.
and need to install some programs before that. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Put your Mac OS X CD into your optical drive, then restart the computer while holding the "C" key on your keyboard. When the installer appears, choose "Reset Password" from the installer Menu and then follow the instructions that appear.

OP
T

toppridaren

hi again !tried that but the computer wont boot from the mac osx 10.4 when pressing c under start up, it just logs in as usual.
any other ways?

Reaction score
These instructions should work: To change the OS X administrator password if you have forgotten the current password:

Insert the Mac OS X Install disc
Restart the computer
When you hear the startup tone, press and hold the C key until you see the spinning gear
When the Installer appears, choose Utilities - Reset Password
Follow the onscreen instructions to change the password
Quit the Installer
Restart your Mac while pressing and holding the mouse button to eject the disc
Remember to change your login password in Keychain Access to match your new password, and to store the Mac OS X User Install disc in a secure place.

If you are saying this does not work--then I am wondering if you have the disc...which you should if you received the computer in a legit manner.

OP
J

JunMacTech

toppridaren said:
hi again !tried that but the computer wont boot from the mac osx 10.4 when pressing c under start up, it just logs in as usual.
any other ways?

By the sounds of it there is an open firmware password set to disallow you from booting to CD. Try holding option when booting. If it comes up requesting a password, then you are out of luck (unless you know the password). If it comes up with a list of drives, then you should be able to select the install disc.

Another thing. If your 10.4 install disc is an older disc, the new macbooks will not boot to it. You would need a newer set of media for the new hardware.

Sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.