How to reference videos, music, pictures, documents folder on another computer

Reaction score
I am getting a MBP on Tuesday and am relatively new to the Mac other than a imac that my son just bought a couple months ago so have a question.
On my Windows XP machine I have of course a my documents, my music, my pictures, and my video folder as well as my outlook (email, contact, calendar) data. The way I have it set up now is I have two profiles, one a away one for on trips, at meetings, etc. and the other a home profile (two login profiles). I have a main computer desktop that kind of acts as a server and where I store these files all in their respective directories. What I do is at home I simply use a utility for Windows XP called TweakUI which I can simply install on my laptop and have it point to those respective directories on the server. Then in the away profile since I use this on the go at times I have it set up to point at those directories on the local computer. What this means is of course from time to time I have to copy those files to the local laptop to keep them up to date.
Now that I'm switching to Mac I know there is a music, video, pictures, and documents folder. As well, I am unsure if I will use Entourage for a PIM or use the ical, calendar, and mail apps.
I assume first there is a way to make two profiles, a home and away. if this is correct I know in the away profile I can put everything in the correct folders on the mac but what about when I'm at home. Can I have these folders, music, etc. point to a folder on the main computer like i do with TweakUI on XP or is there probably even a simpler way to do it on the Mac?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.