When Leopard comes out, is it a free upgrade?

Reaction score
I was wondering, when Leopard comes out, is it a free upgrade from Tiger, or do you have to purchase it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
rogueace said:
I was wondering, when Leopard comes out, is it a free upgrade from Tiger, or do you have to purchase it?

You'll almost certainly have to pay for it, same as 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4

However, I should think Tiger will be supported sully for at least another 2 - 3 years.

Reaction score
rogueace said:

Not a chance! Unless you buy a Mac so close to the release date for Leopard that the upgrade is part of the package.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
$129 probably. Some will say Leopard will be no more than a Service Pack on XP. Not true. People who say that are very wrong. It is like going from 2k to XP and that was not free or even very cheep! A lot is changed and new. To me it's a very good deal at $129. Some disagree which is fine with me. XP Home for my use is not enough so I have to dish out for the Full Install of XP PRO and not an OEM either as I am always changing things.

Reaction score
Yeah--I don't think it is all that bad of a deal either. I am going to purchase some RAM, an external hard drive, and then do a fresh install of Leopard when it comes out. Can't wait!!!

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for clearing things up for me. I am definately going to make sure to get it as soon as it comes out. Or maybe I should wait a bit for a few bugs to arise and be resolved. When the previous version of Mac OSX came out, did they have a lot of problem like XP did, or was it pretty good from the get-go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Still OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Reaction score
Is this a simple upgrade, or will I have to like move all my files off the computer I have, install this, and put them back on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can either do an update, archive and install or erase and install.

Update will simply update the new components and overwrite the old bits.
Archive & Install preserves your entire old system in case you want to revert and install a fresh copy of OS X.

Erase & Install is a "clean" install - you need to backup your files to do this one.

I just did a regular update of 10.4. and had no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Leopard's Archive & Install feature is much, much better than Tiger's.

You'll be able to choose Archive & Install and, rather than create a "Previous System" folder, it will keep all of your files (even desktop icons) in place and completely usable. So, if you had an InDesign file with links scattered around your hard-drive, you won't lose them when you upgrade to Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.