Airport disconnects after entering "sleep" mode

D

Duncancm

Hi all - This is my first post here. I (like most here probably) are a bit of a mac aficionado! Of course the catalyst of my joining is a problem that has me stumped. Help would be appreciated.

I have a core duo imac with the airport extreme (802.11g) card, OSX 10.4.8, and airport admin utility 4.2.3. I use an airport express base station to hook up to my cable modem. Connectivity is fine and all, but for whatever reason, when I boot my mac up or 'awake' it from 'sleep' mode, the airport does not reconnect. I have to click along the top bar and reselect my network. This has gotten quite annoying and I cannot for the life of me see any settings in the airport admin utility to fix this. It used to automatically log onto my network.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks for the help in advance,

Chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open System Preferences and click on Network then on Airport. You will see what is in the picture below. Change it from Automatic to Preferred Networks and be sure the one you connect to it on the top of the list if there is more than one. If nothing shows hit the + and add the SSID of your WiFi Router. It should then always connect. Give it a try as it worked here.

Picture 1jpg.jpg

Reaction score
I would just like to say, I came here to post the same question, so it was cool to see it answered in such an easy way for me to understand.

thanks! :spook: happy halloween

dtravis7 said:
Open System Preferences and click on Network then on Airport. You will see what is in the picture below. Change it from Automatic to Preferred Networks and be sure the one you connect to it on the top of the list if there is more than one. If nothing shows hit the + and add the SSID of your WiFi Router. It should then always connect. Give it a try as it worked here.

Reaction score
hope it works, i actually just tried it and it didnt...ill come back and keep you updated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
it worked here on my systems, ibook G4 and iMac G5 all with the latest updates. Some have had Airport issues since the last update.

Reaction score
cool, i made some other changes. i have an imac with intel whatever...im still learning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
nope, still not working...it always disconnects on me
It will always disconnect when you put the machine to sleep, you can't stop that from happening. The issue that was resolved in this thread was the autoreconnecting after awakening

Reaction score
i have the same problem. But it used to autoconnect when i turn it on from off or sleep, now I have to do it manually. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
For some reason, this works (maybe all steps aren't necessary):
1. Delete your connection.
2. Change your SSID and WAP or WEP key (to prevent it from pulling old settings possibly), slightly changing it is fine.
3. Add your connection.

This has worked for me twice- I don't know the root cause of the problem, though.

OP
D

Duncancm

Hi all,

Sorry busy week - anyway, I tried the first above suggestion and I am still not being reconnected. Someone mentioned above that it disconnects when put to sleep, I understand that. My issue (as I suspect is the others) is that it wont REconnect when I awake it or just start it up for the first time.

I will try to reconfigure my airport like suggested. It is weird though that this just started happening. I wonder if it was after an OSX or airprt software update? I honestly cant remember?

Anyone else having issues?

Thanks to all for the help, responses, and suggestions.

- Chris

Reaction score
Ok^^^^
Mine also just started doing this, and I dont know why. its a good point, maybe we need to maek an upgrade or somthing, but its getting annoying.
Thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.