• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Getting Nintendo Wii?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
I'm so excited about the Nintendo Wii I hope I can get one on launch date, which is November 19. So anyone else plan to get it? I plan to get it and get Zelda, Red Steel, and I'm not sure about the last game I might get. Well if you want to know more about it go to http://wii.ign.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
PS3 first run = 100,000 units
Wii first run = 1,000,000 units

I'm sure you'll be able to get one :) I'm definitely excited about the Wii!

P

Paul Moretti

I think the nintendo system has gone to its greatest lows of all time. Never has anyone been less impressed with nintendo, the name that used to be so huge is now dead. Anyone who is over the age of 10 should either buy an Xbox 360 or PS3. Here are the two main differences with PS3 and Xbox 360. Xbox 360 = best for live. PS3 = best for offline gaming. Nintendo Wii is not on the scale with either of these systems. They seriously kill wii. Unless your under 10 years old.

T

todd51

I don't know what Paul is talking about, becuase I'll be buying it (I'm 21) mainly becuase it's a simple game system that I don't have to pay an outrageous price for. I think this system will do better than the Gamecube did since it will attract older gamers to come back and play their old favorites from previous Nintendo consoles by being able to downlod them directly. Any old-school Nintendo fan that doesnt' want to play the new Zelda is just crazy. The fact that Zelda is a launch-title is awesome, not to mention Red Steel looks pretty amazing. Let's not forget Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be out sometime too, I was going to buy the console alone for this game. My roomates and I love to play Melee.

I am in no way a fanboy becuase I had all 3 of the last gen systems. I just played my Gamecube the most and I am looking more forward to the Wii launch titles, and I like the cost of it. I may buy a 360 or PS3 once the prices drop considerably. Go Wii.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
kaidomac said:
PS3 first run = 100,000 units
Wii first run = 1,000,000 units

I'm sure you'll be able to get one :) I'm definitely excited about the Wii!

It's 400,000 units in the US for the PS3

Anyway, I have both reserved. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I have to agree nintendo does have a market stategy aimed at a younger group. Look at alot of the games for nintendo. They carry an animated theme and are for a younger crowd. The sony and microsoft systems appeal to older people. Thus marketing online compatibility more and releasing adult themed games. Such as killing and driving games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
MacMania55 said:
I have to agree nintendo does have a market stategy aimed at a younger group. Look at alot of the games for nintendo. They carry an animated theme and are for a younger crowd. The sony and microsoft systems appeal to older people. Thus marketing online compatibility more and releasing adult themed games. Such as killing and driving games.
thats very true, but nintendo is is trying to stray away from that image with the release of the Wii. Just the other day i saw a commercial for the DS and it was being played by a soccer mom; nintendo is trying to aim their latest products at adults.

Reaction score
The Sony/Microsoft systems don't have a specific age group, rather, an interest group.

Today, most of America and Japan are online, meaning that internet (specifically Broadband) use is now quite mainstream, thus appealing to younglings checking out Nick.com to grandparents looking at pictures of their Grandchildren on Flickr. That is why all three next-gen systems are online compatible out of the box, the Wii being even more flexbile than the 360 given to its built in WiFi antenna. Also of interest is that the Wii and PS3 both feature online browsers out of the box for no additional cost (Opera for Wii will not be included after June 2007)

So, what market is each company going after, then?

It's clear that Microsoft is appealing to the male demographic ages 12 - 36. The dominant genre on the system is the shooter, followed by sports titles. While some may consider this a "mature" audience, get on Xbox Live and listen. What you'll hear is the high pitched ramblings of preteens There's nothing mature about the 360, just a desensitized youth.

The PS3 seems to be isolating its audience all together. It's no secret that Sony owes most of its last gen success to Grand Theft Auto and Madden. The Sony target group is likewise male, but is more in the range of 17 - 36. Now, with the higher pricetag, I estimate that the two ends of that spectru are going to be alienated, resulting in sales in the male demographic age 22 - 32, the reason being that there is more loose change in these pockets combined with a desire to play games still. I don't believe BluRay will draw people outside of this age group to the console.

As far as the Wii, the scheme is different. I estimate the target sales audience of the Wii to be in the range of 10 - 65. Yes, that large. Also, factor more women into the mix, broadening the number of sales possible. With its lower $250 price tag and inclusion of Wii Sports, the Wii si prepared to target people who never have purchased a console before. While great grandma might not be playing, I think that your old man might consider taking up the remote for a few rounds of Wii Sports and Brain Age. By targeting the young group with cartoony games and the older market with quick, fun, sensible games, the Wii also embraces the middle-aged group. Young married males will be wooed towards the system if their wives enjoy it, and games like Red Steel are attractive towards the "mature" audience of the PS3 and 360. The pricepoint doesn't hurt either.

Reaction score
Paul Moretti said:
I think the nintendo system has gone to its greatest lows of all time. Never has anyone been less impressed with nintendo, the name that used to be so huge is now dead. Anyone who is over the age of 10 should either buy an Xbox 360 or PS3. Here are the two main differences with PS3 and Xbox 360. Xbox 360 = best for live. PS3 = best for offline gaming. Nintendo Wii is not on the scale with either of these systems. They seriously kill wii. Unless your under 10 years old.

No offence dude but I'd take your opinion more seriously if you'd actually played all 3 consoles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cjay said:
No offence dude but I'd take your opinion more seriously if you'd actually played all 3 consoles.

Not only that, Nintendo came out from the beginning and stated that they don't plan on getting into a Graphical Power war with the XBOX 360 and PS3.

OP
DarkRaven24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
Paul Moretti said:
I'm 18 and I'm going to get a Wii and how could it can it be dead if its getting the most media and everyone seems to like it more then PS3 or Xbox 360. It had the longest lines at E3 in the whole history of E3. Plus you will be able to play NES, SNES, N64, and SEGA classic games. And its 4 Million Units being shipped by the end of this year, unlike sony with 400,000 units.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I have a PS3 for pre-ordered me and 2 pre-ordered for eBay. Goal: To get enough out of the eBay sales to pay for mine a few games and $ for Christmas this year.

Reaction score
For the price of a PS3 here in Aus I can buy a 360 and a Wii.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I'll be definitely getting a Wii ahead of any other next-gen console. Even though Aussie gamers really get ripped off (on average I think we pay an extra AU$20 per game, and it'll be something like $50 or $60 more for the Wii than people in the US will get it for) I still think it's a great price for a console. I've stuck with Nintendo since the NES days because I know they deliver games that entertain. The only non-nintendo exlcusive series' that I enjoy are Splinter Cell and Hitman. But I'd say that the Smash games, Golden Sun and Ouendan (DS owners, look it up - it's the best import you'll ever get) remain my most played games.

As pointed out above, Nintendo weren't pushing for the power struggle. It's not THAT important if a console can model each fingernail on a character from polygons.

Each console will have it's own advantages and disadvantages, but I think immediately branding the Wii as a kiddy-console is a grave mistake. Gaming in Japan isn't about the most blood in a game (though, there are a few...) It's the idea behind the game. If I want to shoot something, I'll play xbox, if I want a great Japanese RPG, I'll probably play PS2 (although my favourites happen to be on GBA and GC), and if I want an entertaining multiplayer experience, I'll turn to Nintendo.

Wii is offering Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy (kinda corny, but looks incredible fun), Metroid Prime: Corruption (Ridley battle sequence is the most unique boss battle I've seen in AGES), Red Steel and Smash Brawl (with music by a Final Fantasy composer) Add to that several generations of classics available on the Virtual Console (with a healthy selection available upon launch). That's a rock-solid launch lineup (don't think Smash is for launch though)

I think 360 is interesting, and I'd love to play Hitman 4, Double Agent and the possibility of Shenmue 3 on it. PS3 just doesn't interest me at all, and neither do the titles right now. MGS4 isn't looking all that impressive to me. GT4:HD - simply a waste of a game I think. Don't know many others, but nothing stood out as a killer title to me. And I'm sure we've all seen the "Riiiidge Racerrrr" and "attack its weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE" vids floating around the internet. If you haven't, and want a good laugh, they shouldn't be too hard to find on youtube.

And honestly, I don't think Paul checked out E3 this year, and the enormous crowds (not all kids!) queueing and drooling over the Wii. Let's not mention the PS3 that supposedly wasn't complete and fitting inside the casing at that time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
I have a PS3 for pre-ordered me and 2 pre-ordered for eBay. Goal: To get enough out of the eBay sales to pay for mine a few games and $ for Christmas this year.

hey, thats my plan. I got two pre-order at eb-games and I'm waiting in front of best buy launch day. Hopefully it will pay for some xbox 360 games!!

p.s- Xbox 360 all the way. Online gaming + 1080p gaming = Gamers heaven,

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm really excited by the Wii.

not sure if i can justify buying one then buying a ps3 down the road though. may just have to wait for both to come down in price. though once a completely new gran turismo comes out, i know i'll have to get a ps3...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 120 GB, 2 GB RAM, Superdrive

Are you kidding me? The Wii looks great. If I was to get one of the next gen systems, my first choice would be the Wii, then the 360, and PS3 would be the least likely system. Hardware means very little to me in this case. The graphics are incredible on every system; you really can't go wrong with any of them if all you're interested in is graphics.

The Nintendo will sell evey Wii they manufacture, and not just to 10 year olds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.