Opinions/Recommendations for an External DVD burner

T

teacher24_70

I currently have a combo drive on my Powerbook. I've been looking at buying an external DVD burner for quite a while now, but just haven't taken the plunge. I think that I've narrowed down what I want (based on my limited knowledge of DVD-burners), but I want to get others opinions. I want to be able to burn to it either through TOAST, Disk Utility, or the i-Life applications (I currently have iLife '04).

Here is the link to the one that I'm looking at:

LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe 16x (USB and FireWire, with Double Layer)
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10071

What are your opinions or advice about this?

(Powerbook G4, 1.33 Ghz) OS 10.3.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Looks great!

I've got a LaCie burner and have been quite happy with it.

Any current burner should work with toast & Disk utility out of the box, some need you to run Patchburn 3 (www.patchburn.de) to enable them to work in the iLife apps, but they'll all work.

OP
T

teacher24_70

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that others have had good results with the Lacie. I like the fact that it's USB AND Firewire. I can use it with my Mac and even a PC if I were desperate enough to need one somewhere! :)

Aptmunich said:
Looks great!

I've got a LaCie burner and have been quite happy with it.

Any current burner should work with toast & Disk utility out of the box, some need you to run Patchburn 3 (www.patchburn.de) to enable them to work in the iLife apps, but they'll all work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.