Accessing Files on my windows machine

C

CacheUK

Hey, I just bought myself a shiny new macbook and have got it completely set up apart from the fact that i need to be able to access my files over my network.

Using Finder i have managed to connect to the windows computer and can see all of my files on it, however whenever i try to access use the files or copy them accross to my mac it says i do not have the necessary permissions.

For your information both my mac and windows account have admin privalages and the share settings on the pc allow unlimited access to my files....

Any ideas?!

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If your Windows machine is formatted as NTFS you are not going to be able to share files between the two. The Windows machine would have to be formatted as FAT32.

Reaction score
NTFS really shouldn't have anything to do as to whether you can read a windows share or not. It would only matter when it comes to security. The only thing that matters is the SMB connection over TCP/IP. A Linux distro can access any Windows share via SMB by using SAMBA. I don't know what method OSX would use, but since it is Unix based, doesn't it have a SAMBA setup?

You also have several other options. You can share out the files via FTP, SFTP, or SCP. Any one of these will let you copy files to your Apple system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Alternately, you can turn on Windows Sharing on the Mac and access the Mac from your PC for the purposes of transferring files. This will work just as well. To turn on Windows Sharing, go to System Preferences, Sharing, and select Windows Sharing. Your PC should now be able to see the Mac over its network connection. Caution - it can take it a minute or more to see the Mac - it is PAINFULLY slow to find the Mac, but once found, it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Oops... read that wrong, my bad. I thought you were trying to write files from the Mac to the Windows machine :dummy:

:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.