My Alienware Desktop to MacBook Pro Story

Reaction score
Back in August I thought mac users were trolls who would go on forums and say things like "W1nc1o23 U5rs 5uckzorz" so I ordered a PC from AlienWare. It took 2 MONTHS TO BUILD! When I got it, it was screwed up. So I have returned it and am waiting for that 4 grand back (-15%). So while I was waiting, i began to look around for a new PC. I was skeptical of all vendors and did "company sucks" in google and looked for all rants pertaining to hardware build quality. Eventually I picked apple macbook pro since they had few complaints on them and seemed VERY nice. Yes, I am about to join those who only a few months ago was a cult to me. I plan to buy when my account gets credited that money and then to dual boot OSX and Ubuntu 6.10. Has anyone here had build issues with Apple Macs? (PS If this sounds trollish to you, I want you to know I have picked Apple over Dell, AW, Gateway, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Welcome - I am a recent convert too.

I wouldn't bother with Ubuntu to be honest, there is nothing you can do in Ubuntu that you cannot do more easily in OS X and before you push back, I used Ubuntu for 9 months on a PC Laptop and enjoyed it very much... it's just kinda pointless if you're already running a Unix environment.

I am very happy with my Macbook. Kinda regret not getting a pro as I really wanted to play Civ IV... but sacrifices have to be made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
Welcome to the Mac World hehe. I just converted too from my custom made PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Welcome to the M-F

R

Reverend Wally

I am going to make the switch as soon as I get the check from an insurance settlement. The settlement has been agreed on and the check has been sent by my attorney. I am just waiting.

I am presently using an Xtreme Notebook (Clevo D900K) AMD FX60 with 2 gigs RAM and dual HDs in RAID 0 config. Ilike it, but am tired of the maintainence surprises that Windows always seems to have for me at inopportune times.

I am getting the MBP 17" matte screen 160 gig HD 2 gig RAM C2D super bad Apple/Mac and can hardly wait till I have it in my hot little hands.

I have discovered that the MBPs (C2Ds) come with 802.11n cards. I am hoping that OS will be upgraded to make use of this feature 'cause I have a NetGear 802.11n gigabit edition router and I love it.... I have read that OS will only use the g stabdard at this time unless you load BootCamp and Windows. :eek: OUCH.... Don't want to go there. LOL

:mac: :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Zoolook said:
Welcome - I am a recent convert too.

I wouldn't bother with Ubuntu to be honest, there is nothing you can do in Ubuntu that you cannot do more easily in OS X and before you push back, I used Ubuntu for 9 months on a PC Laptop and enjoyed it very much... it's just kinda pointless if you're already running a Unix environment.

I am very happy with my Macbook. Kinda regret not getting a pro as I really wanted to play Civ IV... but sacrifices have to be made.

Glad to know you like the change. BTW, my little brother plays Civ IV on his macboo and he hasn't run into any problems that I'm aware of, so you should still be able to give it a go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Re using Ubuntu on your new Mac, Zoolook is absolutely right. There is no need. You may not know this, but Mac OS X is built on FreeBSD (or OpenBSD - I can never remember which). There is a full unix heart beating under that beautiful OS X skin.

When you get your Mac, just open Terminal (in your Utilities folder initially - I immediately added it to my Dock) and behold - you will be greated by good ol' bash.

After that, if you are not a command line sort, go and get yourself DarwinPorts, a simple to install open source build system. After that, go nuts with Open Source software as you like. DarwinPorts is a full open source distribution, but in source form, rather like Gentoo, but MUCH simpler. To add a new package, for example the wonderful gnumeric spreadsheet, you just open a Terminal window and enter:

port gnumeric install

This fires up DarwinPorts, which downloads the gnumeric source, compiles it, builds it and installs it. If there are any missing dependencies, it downloads all of them, in the proper order, builds and installs them, and then carries on with your requested package, in this case gnumeric. It is seamless - nearly flawless package management with a HUGE selection of available software.

Enjoy your new Mac, and don't worry about adding Linux - just use DarwinPorts to import all of the Linux applications you wanted into Mac OS X and run them from there. For myself, I run Abiword, gnumeric, feh, ghostview, xv, gtksee, mc, and a whole host of others.

Macs - they really are the best of both worlds.

Yup, I am a recent convert. I got my Mac in May, after two years as a full time Linux user (SuSE, Mandrake, Arch and Ubuntu) preceded by a lifetime of DOS and Windows usage (starting with DOS 5.0).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.