External HDD not reading files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
Hi before I purchased my macbook pro I backed up all my windows files on a Lacie 500 gig external drive. I realize that Macs can read NTFS and Fat32 formatted drives but the problem is my MBP can connect to the drive fine, but the files arent showing up. It shows me that there are 300 odd gigs left of space indicating that my files are there. How can I access these files, looking around the boards and searching for a solution leads me to believe that others with NTFS formatted drives are reading files fine but they are unable to write, I however cant even see my files. What can I do to fix this?

OP
Red Snapper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
When you copy them in windows it doesn't give read/write permission to network users. If you have access to a PC, connect to the external HD and change the network share properties of each folder.

OP
Red Snapper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm I know what youre saying, but im not quite sure that it appies to my problem. Currently I dont have access to the computer that I copied the files from, since im away at college. I was hoping there would be an alternate solution, seeing how recopying the files on the hd after its been formatted would be the obvious thing to do. I realize I could boot up windows via boot camp and look at my files that way but thats pretty much the last measure I want to take. Any other ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.