how to get all my files from PwrBook to MacPro

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to be selling my 17" Powerbook in favor of a Mac Pro and I have some basic questions regarding the transfer of my important files from one computer to the other.

a. what is the most reliable method of transfer?

b. what folders do I need to make sure to copy? I definately want all my emails and iCal info as well as my preferences, bookmarks etc.

c. what do I do about applications? for instance, I purchased an upgrade for quicktime. How do I go about installing that on the Mac Pro? I believe all other apps I have disks for so apps arent that big of a deal at this point

d. I also want to make sure I dont bring over a bunch of crap to the new computer too though, lets just say my powerbook isnt the tidiest of computers. I have removed all that I know how to remove on my own but I am sure there is a reasonable amount of unwanted or unused files on there that I dont want on the new machine.

e. and lastly how do return the powerbook to its original state before I bought it? So that whoever purchases it will be able to authenticate the computer for themselves and none of my info will be on the drive.

thanks for the help,
B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83GHz - 80GB HD - 2GB RAM - WHITE
I can't answer all of your questions but this is my experience as I just switched over all of my web design /graphics business to a new macbook.

A) I would use an external USB hard drive. Its great for things like this and you can use it for backup! Other ideas would be: a large flash drive (caution not as reliable), a CD or DVD (also good to keep for future backup). You could also use wifi if you really had to but that would be a last option.

B & C) If you post a list of programs that you need to copy/ what you would like to copy in those programs we could help you out better :)

D) This is what I would do:

If you don't have to sell it before you get your new computer, just start using the Macbook and when you miss something, transfer it over. I was surprised just how much I DID NOT MISS on my old machine (and how happy I am with the non-clutter).

Also if you do have/decide to buy an external hard drive I would just copy my entire hard drive over to the external just in case you forget something. There are obvious files (like a large part of the OS) that you won't ever need, but it may be simpler just to copy the whole darn thing.

E) Good question...

Hope this helps a little!
-Todd

Reaction score
Under Applications > Utilities you will find the Mac OS Migration Assistant. This tool helps with moving stuff to newer Macs.

D

datorres

yes migration assistant is cool it allows you to select what you want to copy over(ie email, apps, etc) you can transfer over firewire.

Reaction score
to answer your last question, pop in your recovery disks and follow the steps. It will restore your power book to factory settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.