New to the Mac: Partitioning

Reaction score
I just ordered my first Mac computer. When it arrives, I'd like to partition the hard drive, since -according to Macworld.com advice- it's the ideal time to partition a hard drive because you won't have anything to backup.

As you see, I'll be new to the Macintosh. I've been doing some research for the past three months about how things work in the mac (the OS, utilities, etc.). According to my research, in order to partition the startup disk you need to:

1. Boot from the OS X installation CD.
2. Select Disk Utility.
3. Determine the name, size and number of partitions you want.
4. And click Partition.

But after that what should I do. I know I will need to install the OS and its software, but do I have to do that for every partition I make. Can you give me instructions on how to proceed after the hard drive is partitioned?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
Let me know once you find out, because I'm going to be getting a MacBook Pro soon. Have you read about BootCamp? http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ I'm not sure if you want to run windows or you just want to partition it for other uses.

OP
J
Reaction score
DarkRaven24 said:
Let me know once you find out, because I'm going to be getting a MacBook Pro soon. Have you read about BootCamp? http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ I'm not sure if you want to run windows or you just want to partition it for other uses.

Actually I'm in no need, for the time being, to be running Windows on my future Mac. Basically the partitions are for other users. I hope someone can confirm that the steps I posted above are the correct ones, and also how to proceed after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why don't you just use the multi user feature of OS X instead?

Anyway, this is how I'd recommend doing it if you really must use partitions:

1) Boot off DVD, Start disk utility and just enter the amount of partitions you need.

2) Finish the installation on the first partition and get everything set the way you want it.

3) Log in and open disk utility and select 'restore'.

Drag the first partition (with OS X installed) to the 'source' area and drag the empty partition to the 'destination' area.

4) Repeat for each partition and then just change any settings you want to personalize for the different users.

OP
J
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Why don't you just use the multi user feature of OS X instead?

Anyway, this is how I'd recommend doing it if you really must use partitions:

1) Boot off DVD, Start disk utility and just enter the amount of partitions you need.

2) Finish the installation on the first partition and get everything set the way you want it.

3) Log in and open disk utility and select 'restore'.

Drag the first partition (with OS X installed) to the 'source' area and drag the empty partition to the 'destination' area.

4) Repeat for each partition and then just change any settings you want to personalize for the different users.

So, step 3 and 4 would be like copying the OS and all the software onto the other partition? Am I correct? So in that case each partition will have the OS and the software installed. Is that the way it works?

I'm new to this. Please have some patience. I'm trying to clarify doubts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Step 3 & 4 will basically clone the first partition and all installed programs, users and settings to the other partitions.

Again, I think if you want to set up multiple users on this machine, it'll save you a lot of hassle, maintenance and disk space by just using multiple OS X user accounts. Each user still gets their own application settings, home folder etc etc, but you don't have multiple copies of the main operating system and major apps.

OP
J
Reaction score
But I have another doubt though, I don't know if the software iPartition can do the same with a fresh hard drive right from out the box computer, which will save me some time regarding all the software installation after making the partitions. The guy in Macworld says it's a good software, but I don't know if it's only for external hard drives or something. Do you know that program?

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition-2.php

Because if it can, that means that I will need to login, install iPartition, make the necessary partitions I want, but without erasing anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPartition is only really necessary if you want to repartition a drive that's already filled with data.

I'd just use disk utility, unless you already own iPartition.

OP
J
Reaction score
That's what I thought about iPartition.

Is it really necessary to 'clone' the OS to other partitions, or can I use a partition strictly for file storage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh sure... just partition them with disk utility and leave it at that.

I just assumed you wanted to set up distinct user environments...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I would suggest you to use the complete HD as a single partition rather than breaking it in to smaller partitions (unless you intend to install Windows/Linux). When I bought my first Mac I also decided to partition it (Windows Habit) but later ran in to trouble. After reading several artitcles and forum posts I have concluded that there is no greater advantage by doing so. More info on that can be found here.

OP
J
Reaction score
So when Disk utility is done partitioning the hard drive, does it ask me on which of the new partitions I'd like to install the OS and its software? (since the installation DVD is running). Is it intuitive? (the OS X installation process).

What kind of troubles did you have after partitioning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Well I ran out of space for my music library and couldn't keep all my other archives(movies, software, etc.,), after splitting the HD. Then I wanted to merge them but tools available for merging didn't do the job properly. As a result I had to do a fresh install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also find multiple partition difficult for backups.. you can either do file based backups, which don't give you an external bootable option, or you have to individually back up each partition to multiple partitions on your backup drive...

Reaction score
I think you need to re-examine the desire to partition your hard drive. I don't think there is any good reason to do it. Especially if you use a software partition which is a guaranteed way to eventually crash your drive!

I read the MacWorld article and honestly, everything listed in it is either wrong or irrelevant. Just one example:
Programs like Photoshop can't possibly run faster on a partition that is on the same drive. Scratch files only run faster on multiple drives. Think about it, if you force Photoshop to write in one area of a drive, then page out a scratch file to another area of the same drive it would in fact run slower! Only with a second drive can the data flow faster.

Please let us know what you want to achieve with a partition.

OP
J
Reaction score
Basically to have an emergency partition in case the OS get corrupted. Of course, if the entire drive crash, any partition will do no good. But let just say that a volume gets corrupted then I will have an emergency partition to boot.

I'm open minded to any other suggestions. Thanks to all for your assistance by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can always access disk utility from the bootable install DVD in case you ned to fix anything...

Besides, instead of relying on an emergency partition I'd just buy an external drive and back up to that.

That gives you are more reliable backup on a separate physical drive and is bootable. Hard drives are so cheap nowadays, there's really no reason not to back up.

OP
J
Reaction score
Any recommendations of where to buy a low budget external hard drive? (anything between 150 GB and 200 GB will do fine for me). Any one in specific you might recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2GB ram, 500GB hd, 256MB Radeon x1600
I've been wondering this same issue myself, as a soon-to-be iMac user. My Mac will have a 500GB hard drive and somehow it just feels kinda weird to have it all just in one huge chunk. Maybe it's my Windows heritage or something, I dunno..

Anyway.. I don't know how Mac handles the partitions and hard disks for that matter but from my Windows experiences point of view I'd still like to keep my 60+ GB worth of mp3's and other important files on a separate partition than the OS itself in the case of reinstalling the OS.

At least with Windows, if I'm keeping all my stuff (apps and files) on the same partition as the operating system, I'm playing with some serious fire (and most likely to get myself burned :bomb:)

In short, are there any particular pros and/or cons to have the HD sliced and diced?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.