Sharing with windows...

S

StonePatch

Hello,

I have an mac mini and have an external harddrive and like to know an easy way to share it threw with my pc on my network place. i can only see what my pc is sharing on the thing with my mac. but not the other way arround. im new to mac having trouble with it...

thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Two things,...

Turn on Windows File Sharing in the System Preferences > Sharing Pane

Download SharePoints to share a specific folder other than your home folder. Macs will only share their home folders out with out tweeking it with SharePoints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Any advice on how to access your Mac from a Windows PC, as it asks for a USername and Password, and I've tried all the possible Username and Passwords it could be but still nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
nameofmac\username
password

or

nameofpc\username
password

Windows and Mac look in certain places for a user list to authenticate. Providing the computer/domain name before the username tells the computer where the user is. If you have a windows share with a a pc name of dell and a username of joe, the username to the mac is dell\joe. The big pain for mac's is the default computer names are ridiculous. On the PC side to access a mac share, (unless you've renamed you mac) it would be something like joe-smiths-computer\joe

I can't remember now but you might need to try / or \ between macname and username. pc's like \ not sure if it's the other way around for macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Thanks for that...That sorted out my singing into Mac Problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.