dmg files question, after installing a program

Reaction score
Hi,
This might have been already asked before, but I couldnt find a thread. So here I go, when I install a file say its msn messenger. It creates a MSN Messenger file on my desktop that I can not delete or else my msn would not work. This goes for every other program I install too. What can I do with these dmg files? I tried dragging them into my apps folder but after i delete the one wih the desktop the program fails to work. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A DMG is a Disk Image like say an ISO on the PC. You click and it opens. Inside are the files. If there is an installer, run that, if not, just drag the application file from inside the image to the Applications folder. Then you can close the DMG and then drag the DMG to the trash. MOST OSX programs don't have an installer. All you do is open the DMG and drag the application to the Applications folder. Very easy and if you want to uninstall, just drag the application from the Applications folder to the trash. That easy. If this confuses you at all let me know and I will try and re-word it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.