Macintosh SE

Reaction score
I have a Macintosh SE I got off of eBay. The computer was originally from a high school in Colorado. Anyways... the Control Panel is locked. :( How do I unlock it? :confused:

Reaction score
What system is on it? Some schools put a educational version on machines which I
would nuke. Click on the control panel icon.pull down the apple menu,click get info,
see if the box in the window is checked locked. I think thats it,been a long time,or it
may be in the general controls folder,system folder locked.

OP
ericgh
Reaction score
it's running on standard system 6.0.8 Mabye I didn't explain this good enough but I click on the apple in the upper left of the screen, go down to control panel, and click on it. Then a dialog box appears that has a man's head with a text ballon coming out from his mouth that says quote: "Sorry, the Control Panel is locked." The computer is also set so you can't throw anything in the trash can. There is a Desktop Security program on there that can unlock the control panel but....I don't know the password. Bummer huh? Can somebody tell me if a regular computer store would work on a 20 year old Macintosh? :confused:

Reaction score
Without the password, I think you're stuck, though I'm not certain because my home machines began with System 7 (I used System 6 at work).

You can download 6.0.8 from Apple. This page at Low End Mac discusses it. The problem probably would be getting the system onto floppies. A single floppy, though, can contain a stripped-down System 6 (which I did use) that will boot the machine (if the floppy is the so-called high-density, anyway — and the machine can read high-densities).

If I remember correctly, the Mac first scans for a system in the floppy drive, and if it finds one, it boots from that. From there, you might be able to do an end run around the password or simply trash the system if you have another one you can load.

From Low End Mac regarding dowloads:
Software is stuffed and requires an expander, such as StuffIt Expander (which comes with most web browsers). Mounting disk images or making floppies from them requires Disk Copy (download Disk Copy) or MountImage.

Reaction score
Is this an all in one SE 30 or desktop SE? I would change the OS to 7.5,
its comes on like 13 floppys,or hook up a external SCSI CD rom drive."Apple
Drive" you can use a Os CD. You can reformat the drive and reinstall the OS.
Or find a local mac head to load up a new as in used SCSI hard drive and install it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How much memory does it have? click on the Apple in the Upper Left corner and it should tell you how much RAM is installed.

Reaction score
ericgh said:
It has 2,560K of total memory. It is a all-in-one Macintosh. This is what it looks like.
www.weller.to/wcc/apple/wcapmas2.jpg

Oh Ya! A nice all in one SE. I have an SE 30 I've used as a print server. Let
me tell you it takes a long skinny torx head screw driver to remove the
two screws down in the handle, the two on the bottom are easy.the case
slides off. NEVER touch the high voltage lead to the picture tube. The board slides out. The hard drive is mounted upside down under the floppy drive.
If you can find an Apple SCSI cd rom to hook up its easy to upgrade the OS.
I made an external SCSI CD from an Syquest box,pulled out the drive and installed an Apple CD rom drive. It must be an Apple drive for the system
to find the SCSI bus on start up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.