XP on iBook

O

OldSchool

A buddy has asked the following

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install XP on a Mac? Im looking to get a laptop soon and I have fallen in love with the Ibook but I am not happy with the O/S. I spoke to other people and get mixed answers, if anyone can clear this up then I would be grateful.

I'm totally newbie to MAC's. Can anybody help me. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No you can't XP as the OS
You can install VirtualPC which is an emulator which will run XP but will not run anything that requires a graphics accelerator yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
OldSchool said:
A buddy has asked the following

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to install XP on a Mac? Im looking to get a laptop soon and I have fallen in love with the Ibook but I am not happy with the O/S. I spoke to other people and get mixed answers, if anyone can clear this up then I would be grateful.

I'm totally newbie to MAC's. Can anybody help me. Thanks in advance.

OS X is one of the major reasons why most people purchace their Macs. If you don't like OS X, you should probably reconsider buying the iBook. For what it's worth, I don't think there is a single person in these forums (including myself) who would choose XP over OS X. Just out of curiostiy, what is it about OS X that you don't like?

OP
L

lzasitko

XP or OSX

Padawan said:
OS X is one of the major reasons why most people purchace their Macs. If you don't like OS X, you should probably reconsider buying the iBook. For what it's worth, I don't think there is a single person in these forums (including myself) who would choose XP over OS X. Just out of curiostiy, what is it about OS X that you don't like?

Agree with you, what is so good about XP? I have PC's and one running XP Pro and I think it is one of the worst os's that I have used. I am considering reformating everything and going back to Win 2000. I have no end of memory problems even though I have a gig in it as well as a 2.5gig swap file. XP is a total memory hog and does not release it properly whe you exit a program. I generally have to reboot (if it does not crash first) at least once or twice a day. My iMac is on 24/7 and under OSX have not one problem. My iBook is left on all the time also but in most cases I do shut it down more often then the iMac. Just my 2 cents.......

Larry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
XP is a decent OS. I think it is my favorite Microsoft OS yet. Windows 2000 is good too, but it looks too old and ugly. I've been using XP Pro since November, when I formatted from W2k. No problems yet, everything runs as good as it did on W2k or better. Plus it looks 10 times better.

OSX is way better than XP Pro. Mainly because there is very very few rare viruses and spyware for the OS. It is rock stable and does everything well. Much better than any OS Microsoft has ever put out. Maybe the reason you want XP is for games?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.