Software registry

T

tudorbob

Hi, I have been using mac for a while and have loved the experience. One thing that I dont understand is that if mac doesnt have a registry then how does it recognise that I have previously installed software - were is that information stored - and what else is it storing that I dont know about?
Tudor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You're thinking too much of Windows! Who says it has to have anything like a registry? The info is probably somewhere in your Library folder, but whether it's accessible is another matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Usually, a program does two things.

Sits in your Applications folder (Mac apps are self-contained).
Makes a preference file (PLIST) that is stored in your User Library under Preferences.

That's it. Nothing like Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could think of the library as a reg. It stores info about files, folders and programs similar to a windows reg. However, I don't think it is as complex as a windows reg. Check it out on the apple website - I'm about to do that myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Ehhh...not...really...

...but for the sake of ease, sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Isn't that why Windows takes so long to load - all the rubbish in the registry it has to go through?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.