Lost identity

A

andersb71

AArrrggh!!
I changed my name in Finder next to the "Home" (house) icon. by rightclicking on it / "Get info" and then just wrote a new name in the name field, then I continued to work and all was fine. After a reboot OSX came up like it had just been installed. My Apps was still there and so was the files that was on the HD but my files on the desktop was gone and everything seemed to have been reset to the default wallpaper, menubar icons and systemsettings. But the worst thing is that my MS Entourage (Legal copy) acted as if it had just been installed too.. Where are all my mails/projects/adresses? Messenger also wants to start over so does iTunes (Maybe more)
It's as if OSX has lost connection to (or parts of) my identity. It changede the name back to the original name itself. I did a Disc perm repair with no luck either. In Library/preferences I tried to temp. change the MS filenames on the Plist files AND the "Microsoft" folder so that I forced it to create new ones - didn't help either. (have now restored the original MS files)

What's a desperate man to do? I really need my emails..
Really hope someone can help me!
Br Andy CPH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Goto Macintosh HD ----> Users

Does your "newly named" folder appear in there?

That might be a way to get to your old files but I'm sure someone else might know a way of restoring all the contents, settings and everything back. I think what you've effectively done is create a New User minus the Login. So then when you booted up your Mac again it had your Login Settings just not your files, application settings, etc.

OP
A

andersb71

thanx yes U R right they are both there the new and the old.. question is how to get the old one back??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
andersb71 said:
thanx yes U R right they are both there the new and the old.. question is how to get the old one back??

Unfortunately I'm too much of a "newbie" to answer that, I hope someone else can help you out about restoring it.

**Continue at your own Risk

You could try but It might make the situation worse, Delete the New User and then Rename the "Changed" User back to what it was before you edited it with "Get Info." then Reboot your computer and hopefully you'll be back were you started previously.

I'd be inclined to back up your work before you do that, but as I say it's your own grave if it all goes wrong.

OP
A

andersb71

dare not

Thanx, but I dare not 'till someone else also thinks it's a good idea- but it's certainly a possibility..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.