• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xbox 360 or PS3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Ok guys I'm thinking of possibly picking up one of these systems but would like to hear some opinions. Out of the two gaming systems, which would you prefer? Which would you buy? Explain a little on way you chose the way you did. This will help not only me decide on a new gaming system, but help others decide too. Thanks in advance for your all your input. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am going to get both, but if I could only get 1 I would go with the ps3 because its also going to be a blu-ray player, and the games are going to be on blu-ray discs, which means, more space available to the game developers to make better graphics and longer games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
has anyone heard how much the PS3 is going to end up costing? rumors rumors rumors... the only prices i ever here is wayyyyyy more than id be willing to spend on a game system.

the price difference might be the deciding factor. anyone heard?

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
I think about $600 for the PS3....so the rumors state...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
The price for the PS3 isn't a rumor. It's $499 for the base system and $599 for the premium system.

I already have a 360 and Sony has really ****** me off with the lies leading up to the release, so I have no need for a PS3 right now. I will be getting a Wii though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
the batteries in the ps3 controller are not even replaceable, so you have throw the controller out once the batteries stop charging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
The 360 is available now and is pretty fun, plus has a lot of media center capabilities. From what I have seen of the PS3, however, it looks like it has better graphics. There will also be a longer waiting period to get it due to the low initial run (100,000 is the first run I think). Then again, it seems like more and more titles are being released on the 360 - my brother is a big Playstation fan but recently picked up a 360 because he was tired of waiting and was happy to find out that many of the games he had wanted for PS3 were coming out for the 360 (MGS:4 for example). If you decide to get a 360, wait until they release the next version. I've heard it will have a smaller chip for better cooling, plus you can buy the HD-DVD bundle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
PowerBookG4 said:
I am going to get both, but if I could only get 1 I would go with the ps3 because its also going to be a blu-ray player, and the games are going to be on blu-ray discs, which means, more space available to the game developers to make better graphics and longer games.

The Blu-Ray Drive isn't the best choice for games, it has longer loading times than DVD. Also the problem with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is you don't know who is going to win the Format War.

If Blu-Ray Fails this will push up the price of the manufacturing of games on the Blu-Ray format as to put it simply Sony will be the only ones left making them.

So although Blu-Ray will be able to hold more and that will be great for the future there alot of if's and buts along the way that need to be settled. Also Games don't even fill up one DVD9 at the moment.

Elder Scrolls VI: Oblivion arguely one of the most detailed game to come out for any Console occupied 6.7Gb of a DVD9 disc. Also compression technology will also benefit the end user overtime and potentailly only ever see Blu-Ray and HD-DVD as Movie/Storage Formats only and never enter the game market.

I have an Xbox 360, I'm getting the Wii and I was going to get the PLaystation 3 but I can't justify buying a Console with a high price tag mainly due to the Blu-Ray Drive that may be obselite in even a couple of years. I just haven't got that kind of money to waste.

And Xbox 360 have so far for me provided the best solution, if you want HD-DVD then buy it, if you don't then don't. I just wish Playstation had done the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kaidomac said:
my brother is a big Playstation fan but recently picked up a 360 because he was tired of waiting and was happy to find out that many of the games he had wanted for PS3 were coming out for the 360 (MGS:4 for example).

MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kman445 said:
the batteries in the ps3 controller are not even replaceable, so you have throw the controller out once the batteries stop charging

The iPod's battery wasn't supposed to be user replaceable either, and yet there are plenty of places online to buy iPod batteries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Halo 2 is the only gave I ever play on Xbox, so Xbox 360 + Halo 3 = Me happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
BIG D 04 said:
The Blu-Ray Drive isn't the best choice for games, it has longer loading times than DVD. Also the problem with Blu-Ray or HD-DVD is you don't know who is going to win the Format War.

If Blu-Ray Fails this will push up the price of the manufacturing of games on the Blu-Ray format as to put it simply Sony will be the only ones left making them.

So although Blu-Ray will be able to hold more and that will be great for the future there alot of if's and buts along the way that need to be settled. Also Games don't even fill up one DVD9 at the moment.

also, PS3 games will be very expensive. xbox360 games in Aus already go up to AU$120 (that's US$91) - paying more than that for a PS3 game is pretty hard to believe. Then there's the mostly disappointing launch title lineup for PS3. Recent screens I've seen of MGS4 show that it isn't looking crash-hot, with poor res textures and character models that would only be impressive for current gen consoles. I'm more looking forward to seeing Snake in Smash Bros. Brawl than seeing how things develop for MGS4.

Then there's the costs to produce the consoles. I read it may cost around $200 for each blu-ray drive, where microsoft spend something like $20 for a DVD drive. Furthermore, I think it would be something like 2 years before Sony begin to make any profits from the console itself. They're looking at pretty heavy losses for some time.

Finally, the fact they cut launch unit numbers by 3/4 for Japan and US isn't a good sign.

At this stage, I'm more likely to save up for a 360. The chance of Shenmue 3 being released on the console is very tempting for me, and there are a few other titles planned for release that interest me.

Overall though, Wii is top of my list. Solid lineup of launch titles, fantastic price and the Virtual Console looks very promising. Too bad the VC won't be region free... I don't see why people continue to overlook Nintendo though, since the Wii was the highlight for the duration of E3.

kaidomac: actually, I think the GPU (graphics processor unit) of the 360 is more powerful than that of the PS3 (something like 2 times as powerful.) However, the PS3's CPU is more powerful than the 360's. Not sure what this all means in the long run, as we've all seen numbers don't mean much until you see the machine in action.

If I were to get a PS3, it'll be in a couple of years time, when it should be more affordable, with some nice titles to choose from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I stopped liking Sony after seeing the first couple batches of the PS2.. My nephew has personally gone through about 7 PS2 consoles because they just stop working, or won't read disks... I have the Xbox.. I have the Xbox 360.. It's an amazing system, great games, great graphics, and as mentioned before, HALO 3!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
dtownley1 said:
kaidomac: actually, I think the GPU (graphics processor unit) of the 360 is more powerful than that of the PS3 (something like 2 times as powerful.) However, the PS3's CPU is more powerful than the 360's. Not sure what this all means in the long run, as we've all seen numbers don't mean much until you see the machine in action.

Yeah...all I know is that the graphic demos I've seen on the PS3 are better than what I've seen on the 360. They are both good though! I too am in the Wii fanclub...$250 is a much nicer price! I would like to get a 360 eventually; the word is that Microsoft will be releasing new, smaller 360 cpu chips that require less power and output less heat. Hopefully that will help with the overheating problem, plus they will probably start selling it with an HD-DVD bundle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'd get a PS3 for the following reasons.

- Playstation still has the most developers working on it and you get the Japanese top developers onboard (not so with Xbox)

- You get Blu-Ray movies (HD Movies). You don't with Xbox, although you can get the HD-DVD for about $180

- You get a HDD on either machine. The Core Xbox360 doesn't get you that

- You can get HDMI connection out of the box (although you need your own lead). Xbox connects by composite only, meaning a poorer quality image

- PS3 gives 1080 rendering on about 40% of its launch games. Xbox gives 720 (or lower) rendering on all current games and MS has no plans to make any 1080 games, despite announcing the machine can render and upscale to 1080

- PS3 will ship with Linux. Xbox360 will NEVER EVER ship with linux... although it may get hacked, it won't be supported by MS

As for the whole point of cost. A Core Xbox360 is barely worth having (which people compare to the lower end PS3). A Core Xbox gets no HDD, no wireless controller, no HDMI output. The "basic" PS3 gets wireless controller, a HDD, HD Movie capability and a HDMI connector. To add all those things to the core Xbox actually makes the price higher than on the PS3.

That is not true.

Reaction score
I'll probably not be getting either because I'm too poor :eek:neye: but I like the look of the wii console the most. It looks like real fun plus you get to move around a bit more which is great if your getting old and fat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Zoolook said:
- Playstation still has the most developers working on it and you get the Japanese top developers onboard (not so with Xbox)

True, although they may not necessarily develop for Playstation 3 Games.

Zoolook said:
- You get Blu-Ray movies (HD Movies). You don't with Xbox, although you can get the HD-DVD for about $180

True. However your paying the price for that. This might please some people however I'm not buying an Entertainment Unit. I'm buying a Games Console. Therefore me as a Gamer how do I benefit from this?

Zoolook said:

And that Observation is, what Pointless!

If you buy the top end Xbox 360 Console with HDD it's still cheaper than the PS3 with similar stuff. Eg. No Wifi, 20Gb HDD, No Memory Units (SD, XD MS Pro).

Zoolook said:
- You can get HDMI connection out of the box (although you need your own lead). Xbox connects by composite only, meaning a poorer quality image

That again is pointless as all HDTVs ship with either a VGA or DVI Port therefore you can connect the VGA Cable available for the Xbox 360. HDMI and VGA don't show much difference between quality. The only benefit of HDMI is the Copyright Protection it offers as a Digital Signal compared to an Analog One. However you can get a 1080p Picture via either.

Zoolook said:
- PS3 gives 1080 rendering on about 40% of its launch games. Xbox gives 720 (or lower) rendering on all current games and MS has no plans to make any 1080 games, despite announcing the machine can render and upscale to 1080

The majority of Gamers don't have a HDTV and those who do only a select few will have 1080p Fully Compatible TVs.

Also there a Problems with HDTV I point you towards this
http://ozymandias.com/archive/2006/10/21/Clarifying-Thoughts-on-High-Definition-Game-Rendering.aspx

Ozzymandias said:
Any game could be made to run at 1920x1080. However, it is a tradeoff. It means that you can show more detail (although you need larger textures and models to really get this benefit) but it means that you have much less time to run complex pixel shaders. Most games can’t justify running at higher than 1280x720—it would actually make them look worse because of the compromises they will have to make in other areas.

Zoolook said:
- PS3 will ship with Linux. Xbox360 will NEVER EVER ship with linux... although it may get hacked, it won't be supported by MS

Again I'm buying a Games Console not an Entertainment Unit or PC, I already have a Mac and a Vista and XP Machine I don't need a Linux on aswell.

Zoolook said:
As for the whole point of cost. A Core Xbox360 is barely worth having (which people compare to the lower end PS3). A Core Xbox gets no HDD, no wireless controller, no HDMI output. The "basic" PS3 gets wireless controller, a HDD, HD Movie capability and a HDMI connector. To add all those things to the core Xbox actually makes the price higher than on the PS3.

Yea a Core Xbox 360 is probably not worth having if you want a HDD, Wireless Controllers, etc but not everyone wants it's about choice. You don't need a HDD to play xbox 360 Games the same can't be said however for the PS3.

Also the Basic PS3 Costs - $499 and the Top end Xbox 360 Costs $399 and the only difference is the Blu-Ray Format. I'm sorry but although it might be a valid investment I don't want it as the Format War hasn't been decided so you could pay $100 extra for a Drive that doesn't actually play HD Movies anymore becuase HD-DVD Won the Format War.

Remember Sony Formats have so far been very bad...BetaMax-Failed, MiniDisc- Failed, UMD- Failed, Blu-Ray - ??

You decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I already have an XBOX 360 and have a PS3 and Wii on reserve. As long as Square-Enix make RPGs (namely Final Fantasy) exclusive for Sony's machine, I will want to own one.

Reaction score
360 and a Wii. Like Big D said 'I want a games console' and I don't need the extras which put the price through the roof. That's too much money to pay especially if the majority of gamers are of a younger age. I think Sony have nuffed the PS3.

A Sony employee told me that all hdmi does is run the audio and video signal through the single cable and there's no difference in quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Zoolook said:
I'd get a PS3 for the following reasons.

That is not true.
Yeah, you're right there. I just double checked the figures I found. PS3 will have a GPU of 550MHz, compared with 360's 500MHz. Not that much of a difference.

I read that the HD cables will retail separately for around $100. So if you want to enjoy games in real HD, you'll need to fork over even more money. Making GT4 all the more pointless.

Also, there's a good chance that most of those PS3 developers won't be developing exclusively for PS3, meaning much less profit for Sony (why pay more for the same game on a more expensive console?)

I still don't think the price justifies the PS3 at this stage. Too much for features that you can't actually use unless you spend at least the same amount again to display it (minus the HD cable)

BIG D 04, interesting point about the disc formats. I don't know if there's any indication yet of which format (HD-DVD or Bluray) will become the standard for either gaming or other forms of entertainment. I'm still sceptical of the format.

I'm also pretty disappointed in the PS3 controller. I was never a fan of the PS2 controller - too blocky, too small and too uncomfortable. The fact that they've gone with the same design AGAIN is a bit of a let down. I think I'd rather something closer to the boomerang design they initially revealed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.