Partition sizes?

H

hyperbolical

I have a 17" G4 Powerbook, 3 years old. Two weeks ago the 60GB hard drive died and I have replaced it with a hitachi travelstar 7200rpm 100GB. I want to dedicate 60GB of the new drive to my normal OS 10.4.7 setup. The remaining 40GB I want to divide between Linux and a sandbox for testing programs on my OS X. How should I divvy it up?

I bought Super Duper! and cloned the old hard drive before it died, so my old data is on an external OWC HD 100GB with FW. That is what I am using now to boot from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Boot to and use Tiger install disk to run Disk Utility to partition the new disk and restore the image from the fw drive to it.

OP
H

hyperbolical

MacsWork said:
Boot to and use Tiger install disk to run Disk Utility to partition the new disk and restore the image from the fw drive to it.

thanks
what i still need some advice on is what size the partitions should be

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep it one partition and use the external to boot and use for testing.

Stay away from ppc linux,...

OP
H

hyperbolical

MacsWork said:
Keep it one partition and use the external to boot and use for testing.

Stay away from ppc linux,...

ok can you tell me why you say that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
100gb ain't much to work with these days. I don't know your entire situation although 100gb for a boot/primary partition can get small fast. Rather than use a bunch of utilities to move your home directory or move the swap file etc, just keep it where it's at. Using the external to partition as much as you want. Install 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 on their own partitions. Do your testing and wipe them out when done.

PPC linux IMO is a waste of time. If you must, I'd get a cheapo white box to run any flavor of linux you want. Then when you get sick of it and realize OS X is everything you want you can give it to your PC loving nephew.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.