Question about upgrades to new Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a new C2D MBP. I had previously looked at the other MBP and was going to upgrade the hard drive to a 120. As well, I was going to upgrade the memory to 2GB. Now 1GB is standard and as well the 120 is standard. Well now I want to go to a 160. I know there's a 200 but I don't want to have that decrease in speed. I didn't even know 200's were available. As for the upgrades, is it cheaper for me to buy the stock unit and do the upgrades on my own or am I better off just buying from Apple and getting it with 2gb and the 160 gig hard drive? How hard is it to do these upgrades?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
upgrading to a new HD is not very difficult....the problem is that, when you open the case up, you void your warranty. If this concerns you,(as it should), then just order up a larger HD from apple. another option may be to have a certified technician do the replacement for you, but i dont have any experiance with this, so I cant recommed this, or not.

Reaction score
..doing the 2gb ram upgrade yourself is VERY easy..and alot cheaper than ordering in from the big A... search around for the cheapest ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
As others have stated, you'll need to order the computer with a larger hard drive, so you don't void your warranty. The RAM, I would recommend getting from Newegg.com and upgrading yourself, for half the cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
I would recommend getting 3rd party ram (1/2 the price and works like a charm) and also (again just a personal prefference) save the money that apple charges for upgrading your HD and use that for your RAM and buy an external firewire HD (more bang for your buck).

Just my 2c

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.