Websites and Databases

Reaction score
Howdy =)

I'm creating a website with a backend database.

Basically it's for a car company where eventually, the company will be able to add, delete and edit cars for sale on their website. Each car will have a spec given to them, along with a picture. I'd also like to insert a search facility on the homepage as well (IE: Car make/used or new car etc)

Just wondering how hard this is and if anyone is familiar with any websites where I'm able to get a bit more information on how to set this up.

Cheers
Liam

Reaction score
I'd like to introduce you to the Open Source world. I have a few websites setup right now using Joomla, an Open Source content management system that is a breeeeze to use. I'd highly recommend checking it out, www.joomla.com. They have hundreds of components and modules that you can add to it to customize it to your liking. Just to give you a sense...

www.motoroildepot.com
www.mattsteinman.com

Both are developed using joomla and additional components that I downloaded.

Let me know if you have any questions, but I would recommend Joomla.

B

basem

Jooooooooomla

Yeah, I agree 110% For what you just described Joomla is the way to go.

It's free, stable, and customizable to your hearts content. I'd also recommend a module called Hot Property that would run your 'shop'. The search feature in it is beyond anything else I've seen yet.

AND, check out this host company:

http://www.bluehost.com/track/ahcommun/text1

They cheap, they provide huge accounts with a bunch of add on domains (host like 6 site off one account). And the best part is they have this thing called "fantastico" that auto installs Joomla for you. It's as easy as it gets. Not to mention their support is beyond compare.

Even though I can read/tweak code I rarely do anymore b/c with Joomla there's little reason beyond hacks to look at code. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
This may sound dumb so I apologizes in advance,

But how do you use Joomla? I downloaded it and have just got a folder full of php, html files?

Regards,

Chris,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.