OS X confusion

B

Bluewolf

>.< Okay now my brain has been fried. I have 10.2.7, which is OS X. But there is 10.3, which is OS X. It is clear to me that I am running an older version of OS X, but I was assured that I was running Panther... The question here is what am I running?

x_x this may also explain why some of my software is not the latest additions of it... and I got a funny feeling that I will be needing to buy something real soon...

OP
W

Wapa18

Bluewolf said:
>.< Okay now my brain has been fried. I have 10.2.7, which is OS X. But there is 10.3, which is OS X. It is clear to me that I am running an older version of OS X, but I was assured that I was running Panther... The question here is what am I running?

x_x this may also explain why some of my software is not the latest additions of it... and I got a funny feeling that I will be needing to buy something real soon...

you have 10.2.7 on your powerbook? are you sure? cuz i'm pretty sure 10.2.7 only came with the G5's. anyways, which powerbook do you have, and when exactly did you buy it? we need to know just a little more info before we can answer effectively for you. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
well 10.2.7 is still jaguar
jaguar went up to 10.2.8 (You can get that through system update)
And panther is up to 10.3.2 right now

OP
B

Bluewolf

About my Mac:

PowerBook G4
Mac OS X
Version 10.2.7
Memory: 512 MB
Processor: 1 GHz PowerPC G4

It was purchased in the New York, and before anyone asks me to return it that is slightly difficult as I am permanently based in the UK. Perhaps this is punishment for taking unfair advantage of a weak dollar against the pound.

x_x I have a very bad feeling now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When did you purchase it?
Did you purchase a used one?

OP
B

Bluewolf

trpnmonkey41 said:
When did you purchase it?
Did you purchase a used one?

January 2004
Brand new

x_x I definetly don't like where this is going...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you definitely should have had panther on it

what do the system restore discs that came with it say on them

OP
B

Bluewolf

trpnmonkey41 said:
you definitely should have had panther on it

what do the system restore discs that came with it say on them

That is a good question, but at present the disks arent with me... but for now is it possible for guidance on how I can see if there is Panther on those disks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will say something like

PowerBook G4
15 Inch
Software Install
and Restore

Mac OS X version 10.3.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If you still have the box your PowerBook came in it will have the model number on it.
Also, I believe that some of the documentation that came with the PowerBook will have stickers with the model number on it.

This gives more info about the program.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.