Using a MacBook as a WIFI router.

P

probot

Hi,

just wondering is it possible to use my macbook as a WIFI router, I have a cable connection connected to my macbook via the ethernet cable, but I also have a PC with XP Pro in another room so what I want to do is share the macbook's internet connection via WIFI.. my sure its straight forward but I just cant seem to figue it out,

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open System Preferences, Open Sharing then click on the Internet tab. Here is a quick pic of what you will see. Make sure Share your computer from is set to Built in Ethernet, then check Airport on the To Computers using. Click Start. Give it a few. It will act like a router and assign a DHCP address. I do it all the time here.

If you have problems, report back and I will do my best to help out.

Picture 1jpg.jpg

OP
P

probot

I changed my MacBook setting as instructed and I'm able to see the mac WIFI network on Windows but it wont connect, I have tried with & without a WEP password (40 bit) and with the mac firewall on & off but I get the same result, windows trys to connect but afer 2 mins it just closes, any ideas ? Thanks again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just tried it with my Thinkpad with XP SP2. It worked great without WEP. Internet worked fine. You can see the network on the windows box and just not the Internet?

OP
P

probot

I was able to ge windows to conect to the mac WIFI but tried firefox & IE6 but gives no internet connection page, also tried changing some firewall settings up still nothing.

Reaction score
question....

just read the thread above, and i rx my internet from a BT Openzone hotspot through my airport, and i want to connect my Xbox 360 through my MCP using Ethernet, is this possible? has anyone came across this? or had any problems doing so?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.