Strange noise coming from new Imac

L

Lee_eel

Hi, just recently received my second imac (intel duo 20 inch) after a faulty first. however, i am hearing strange noises coming from the unit whenever i click on an icon and open it up. I don't know if it is the hard drive but it sounds like a crackle. This happens when i click on something or close it down. Even happens sometimes when nothing is open. Just seems a little strange, almost like inteference. There is no problem with the wall socket or anything. Please can anyone help as i am going to ask for a refund if this ubit is also faulty! I would really appreciate answers from other users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
IS it coming out of the speakers? Is it still there if you turn the volume all the way down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16 GHz 15" MBP C2D 2.33 GHz 2GB RAM, Black Video iPod 80GB
mine makes the same noise too!

I am also wondering bout this as I just got my new iMac 24 C2D and as soon as I turned it on it made crackling noises, as it was booting etc...is this the hard drive? is this normal? right now its updating software and not making a sound,but the crackling noise is irritating especially since I heard from a lot of people that it is almost silent...not mine. Well hopefully someone will be able to answer this otherwise I'll have to get on the phone with apple tomorow. Thanks!

Kelvin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I've noticed that a bit too, but it is when you put your head fairly close to the unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
You do know the Harddrive and CPU have to work?

You have the HDD, Optical Drive, CPU and Fans in there..

Your of course going to get sound from it! lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.