Buy backup software or wait for Time Machine?

Reaction score
Just wondering if Time Machine will replace Super Duper! when Leopard is released. I would like to buy a copy of Super Duper! but I'm not sure if it is necessary since Time Machine is right around the corner. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'd do both, personally. I'm not 100% sure of the features of Time Machine, but I think it can use a network connection to save stuff remotely. However, if your disk dies and you want to restore it quickly and easily, an image made with Super Duper will be the thing to have. There's no indication that Time Machine will have anything even remotely similar.

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
cazabam said:
I'd do both, personally. I'm not 100% sure of the features of Time Machine, but I think it can use a network connection to save stuff remotely. However, if your disk dies and you want to restore it quickly and easily, an image made with Super Duper will be the thing to have. There's no indication that Time Machine will have anything even remotely similar.

Thanks man. Good answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well time machine I know requires at least a separate partition or hard drive, it can't be used on your same system drive and it can save to a networked drive. And from what Jobs said it sounded like even if you lost your whole drive when you install the new drive and put OS X on Time Machine can rebuild everything the way it was

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To me Time machine sounded more like a file backup solution than a system clone tool.

Meaning if your internal harddrive dies, you can probably get a new one put in, reinstall os x and then restore your data from the time machine drive.

But Superduper! will actually let you boot off the external and continue with your work on the broken or on a good mac on until you can get the internal drive fixed.

Depending on how time critical your mac-work is, you might want to get superduper just to have that immediate working solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.