24" iMac Lines/break up appears on display

E

eyemax

Recently purchased 24" iMac with 2GB ram and upgraded vid card I am wondering if anyone else is encountering this display issue. I first noticed it during the mac default screen saver we all have called 'flurry'. As the colourful tentacles move about the screen... it's like there is a line that moves up and down the screen and breaks up the image a little where it moves up and down.

I went back to the store I got it from where I noticed display iMacs displaying the same problem!

DVDs play fine as do quicktime movies, but when I installed Quake 4 I get a similar 'break up'/ flickering of the image, in sections broken up by the random lines, even with the settings all set to low and on a small resolution!

17" imac at work displays the same problem during 'flurry' as does our mac mini... all the old g4's have no problems?

I 'upgraded from a g4 powerbook which I never saw this sort of problem on.

Anyone else experiencing this? or better yet know how to resolve it.

Reaction score
eyemax said:
Recently purchased 24" iMac with 2GB ram and upgraded vid card I am wondering if anyone else is encountering this display issue. I first noticed it during the mac default screen saver we all have called 'flurry'. As the colourful tentacles move about the screen... it's like there is a line that moves up and down the screen and breaks up the image a little where it moves up and down.

I went back to the store I got it from where I noticed display iMacs displaying the same problem!

DVDs play fine as do quicktime movies, but when I installed Quake 4 I get a similar 'break up'/ flickering of the image, in sections broken up by the random lines, even with the settings all set to low and on a small resolution!

17" imac at work displays the same problem during 'flurry' as does our mac mini... all the old g4's have no problems?

Hi, I feel as this is a recent purchase for you you shouldn't accept this if it's a problem/possible fault and take it back straight away for a diagnosis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 24", 64G 3G iPad
I just ran flurry on my 24", same configuration... I think I see what you are talking about. Not "easy" to pick out, but it's there.

I've never seen it with any other application...

eyemax said:

OP
E

eyemax

I've been checking 'flurry' on every mac I get the chance to... It seems like every one I've tested that has an LCD screen (imacs, mac books, and g5&g4 towers with lcd displays) show this 'ripple line' during 'flurry'.

Not sure if there is a link. The only CRT I have checked it on so far was a g4 which ran 'flurry' like a dream.

Anyone tried quake4 on a new iMac? My 24" with 2GB Ram and 256 vid card runs it pretty badly, due to this flickering/rippling which I'm not sure is related to what is happening in 'flurry' screen saver or not. It's weird because it's not like it's 'chunking' out or slowing down due to lack of memory/power... just this insane flickering/breaking up effect?

Jem

Reaction score
Funny... I was reading this post thinking hang on a moment, someone's complaining about this tearing effect with Quake 4 in another thread and lo and behold it's yerself :)

This is interesting, wonder if it's a fault in the new displays or just a problem with your machine... someone else must be running Quake 4, alternatively if anyone wants to post me their 24" iMac I'll check it out with my copy... :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I have a 24" iMac. I have noticed the horizontal lines in the flurry screensaver. I have Quake 4 but I haven't seen anything abnormal in it. I think I've heard about problems with tearing with the Doom 3 engine on Macs.

OP
E

eyemax

In trying to find out what's going on in Quake... I've heard lots of people talk about this 'tearing'. Do you think that's what I'm seeing? Is it possible to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
Same answer to what i posted in response to a different question, which may be applicable here:

You may be getting the flickering due to what is known as 'tearing' - when the frames-per-second rate on the game exceeds what your monitor can display. Try turning vsync on in the graphics options for any games you play (if available) - that may help.

OP
E

eyemax

I think I saw vsync in the advanced settings for Quake. I'll try it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
E

eyemax

After a few tests... It doesn't appear to be making any difference whether it is on or off?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.