PowerMac G4 + upgrade for music?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25gb RAM, G4 PowerBook 1.67GHZ, 2gb RAM
Hi guys,

I'm just looking for a little advice here, and this may be the wrong forum for this but i'll give it a try.

I'm looking into buying a G4 PowerMac for music recording and production.

Of course, the standard processor and RAM probably would have to be upgraded to achieve the proper performance levels..

so, my question is, do you think it would be more cost effective to pick up a cheap G4 for a couple hundred and upgrade the RAM, processor, and possibly HD (so pretty much gut the thing) or just buy a newer faster computer for more $$.

thanks in advance for any input!

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
I have a PowerMac G4 MDD for sale with dual 867MHz G4s, 1.5GB DDR, 160GB 7200RPM 8MB, ATi Radeon 9800Pro, DVD-RW Superdrive for sale. If you are interested send me a PM or something but I am looking at getting about $600 plus shipping for it.

You can probably get a decent G4 DA or G4 QS for around $200-300 and that may be enough for you. It just really depends on how much you are willing to spend. www.lowendmac.com has a lot of info on the older G4 PowerMacs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Mac Book Pro, 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro w/ 2gb RAM. 1ghz G4 Powerbook w/ 768 RAM.
Joe,

What software are you planning on using? Will you be doing a lot of tracks at once?? A lot of MIDI? or something in between? I use both G4's and my new Mac for this on a professional level. Let me know what you are doing and i can help you out a bit.

Howie J.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 MDD Dual 1GHZ 1.25gb RAM, G4 PowerBook 1.67GHZ, 2gb RAM
I'm planning on using Digital Performer 4.5 and eventually 5.0 when I can get it. the most i will probably ever do on this machine is 8-10 tracks simultaneous via firewire.

I want a good machine that is able to handle a decent amount of plug-in use.

I'm just looking for a decently priced Mac that I can upgrade to be a fast reliable music based, no internet machine.

At this point, I'm not thinking a new HD is that important as long as it has like 40gigs or so. The files are somewhat large, but basically the only things on this computer will be os 10.5 soon hopefully, and my recording and editing software.

do you know which is more important for performance, RAM or Processing speed? Until now, I've never really been all that into computer stats and ****, but now that its important to my interests, I need and want to know.

ok, thanks for the help guys and I'll check out that link!

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.