Error Code - 36 when trying File sharing.

Reaction score
Hi all

Got my imac delivered this morning and have been trying for the life of me to set it up so that the mac can see the files i share on my Windows XP PC. ( It works the other way. PC can see Mac) I followed the following guide which i thought would have sorted everything out.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html

However, at stage 5 when connecting to a server i recieve the following error.
"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://192.168.0.3 could not be read or written. (Error code - 36)

In console the following error message occurs.

mount_smbfs: negotiate phase failed: syserr = Software caused connection abort

Has anyone any ideas as to why this is? If so id be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Reaction score
mjgriffo said:
Hi all

Got my imac delivered this morning and have been trying for the life of me to set it up so that the mac can see the files i share on my Windows XP PC. ( It works the other way. PC can see Mac) I followed the following guide which i thought would have sorted everything out.

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3020.html

However, at stage 5 when connecting to a server i recieve the following error.
"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://192.168.0.3 could not be read or written. (Error code - 36)

In console the following error message occurs.

mount_smbfs: negotiate phase failed: syserr = Software caused connection abort

Has anyone any ideas as to why this is? If so id be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Have you had success 'pinging' the PC?

Reaction score
If you're connected and the mac is set up properly and only the PC recognises the network, what happens if on the mac you pressShift + Command + K or go to Finder>Go>Network..does the PC's share show there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.