wrong HOSTTYPE ... I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook ~ Intel Core Duo (2.0 GHz), 1.25 GB memory,
I went to compile TclTk on my new macbook and it returned an error, I think it is having trouble because although I have an Intel based Mac, when I echo $HOSSTTYPE it returns : powerpc

I don't know how to change that, or what to change it to (intel i suppose?)

Any help is greatly appreciated

OP
Nate5000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook ~ Intel Core Duo (2.0 GHz), 1.25 GB memory,
Fixed it myself *** this is likely a problem for anyone with an intel mac

Nate5000 said:
I went to compile TclTk on my new macbook and it returned an error, I think it is having trouble because although I have an Intel based Mac, when I echo $HOSSTTYPE it returns : powerpc

I don't know how to change that, or what to change it to (intel i suppose?)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Okay so the problem was mostly with my rusty unix skills but i fixed it up now. The problem is with the bash profile, for some reason the default HOSTTYPE is powerpc, which is wrong. To change this simply add this line to your /Users/[USERNAME]/.profile

export HOSTTYPE=intel-pc

Note: if you are using X11 terminals as well then you will have to also add a .bashrc file to the same directory, it is easiest to just make this reference your .profile rather than duplicating it (just put source /Users/[USERNAME]/.profile in there and this will be taken care of]

So do this and your terminals will all have the correct HOSTTYPE if it should come up.

Nate

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.