How do I set up access permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Just wondering how I can stop any computer on my network looking at/editing any of my folders &/or files and just change it to the one folder, say the "drop box"?

Regards,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Goto System Preferences and the Then Sharing and Edit the Options in there

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
the only option I can see with regards to file sharing/windows sharing is the option to turn it on or off?

Regards,

Chris.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Reaction score
MrChris said:
Just wondering how I can stop any computer on my network looking at/editing any of my folders &/or files and just change it to the one folder, say the "drop box"?

Regards,

Chris.

You might need a 3rd party app that locks your folders....could be a hassle for you though...

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Can you not simply right click on a folder and "allow sharing" like with Windows?

It's not too big of an issue I just thought with OSX being super secure & more advanced than Windows XP then it would have got network security & provacy covered?!

Regards,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well, they only account that should be able to edit files on your home directory on the Mac is the home directory owner. Unfortunately others seem to be able to read by default.

What you can do is right click on you home folder (house) and choose Get Info. Go to Ownership & Permissions and open the Details tab. Choose No Access for Others. It will take a while if you have a lot of files. I also click on Apply to enclosed items.

If you have your Sites folder being used for web stuff, then do the same for that folder after the above action, but set to read only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.