Filesharing on a Mac

Reaction score
Hello,

I have files in "My Documents" on my Windows desktop, connected to wireless router. I currently share them with other Windows PCs on the network. If I add an iMac to the network, will I be able to access the files on the desktop?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yes you sure will, doing it with My Brother at the moment with his music collection, well it saves me buying everything ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
BIG D 04 said:
Yes you sure will, doing it with My Brother at the moment with his music collection, well it saves me buying everything ;)

Great! Is there any special setup needed, I mean, how do I do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dbonyad said:
Great! Is there any special setup needed, I mean, how do I do it?

Well you will first have to Share the Folder/(s) by right clicking on them and Selecting Sharing... then enable it to be shared with all users on the network. By Default the Shared Documents folder is shared across the Network.

Then you can either "Connect to Server" via the Go in the Finder Menu or Select Network and your Network should be in there.

I don't think I've missed anything out, you may have to Enter the USername and Password for an account on the WinXp System but if you keep it in the Keychain it will be that last time you have to.

If you want to share your Mac files with your WinXP just goto Sharing in the System Preferences and enable Windows File Sharing

Hope that Helps

F

formerPCbigot

I just figured this out on my new iMac. It's certainly easier than in Windows!

One confusing thing is that OSX prompts you for a username and password in the Go setup process even if you haven't set Windows to require one. You can simply skip it and it will work.

Reaction score
I just figured this out on my new iMac. It's certainly easier than in Windows!

One confusing thing is that OSX prompts you for a username and password in the Go setup process even if you haven't set Windows to require one. You can simply skip it and it will work.

This is exactly my problem. Well in the fact that it doesn't work. It prompts me for a U/N & P/W but no matter what i put in, it doesn't go past that point. It asks for work group, U/N, P/W. I try it blank, I try it with my admin name & password, I'm at a loss.?.? I know there isn't a password on the PC because I can connect directly with another PC.

What am I missing??????
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Doesn't it give you the option to log in as "Guest"?

Reaction score
Doesn't it give you the option to log in as "Guest"?

No such luck:( I go to Finder & click on Network. I can see the network. I click on "Connect" up pops the option to input the workgroup, u/n, & p/w. Workgroup is "Workgroup", there is no u/n or p/w so I leave it blank. I click ok and it pops up this msg.

The alias "Owner-02147B7Fe" could not be opened,
because the original item cannot be found.

There are three options to click on: "Delete Alias", "Fix Alias...", "OK"

Any suggestions????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Try deleting the Alias and finding the PC on the network again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
This is exactly my problem. Well in the fact that it doesn't work. It prompts me for a U/N & P/W but no matter what i put in, it doesn't go past that point. It asks for work group, U/N, P/W. I try it blank, I try it with my admin name & password, I'm at a loss.?.? I know there isn't a password on the PC because I can connect directly with another PC.

What am I missing??????
Thanks!

Use your login info for the Windows PC. I have the guest account disabled on my PC, and when I try to access my PC from my Mac I'm asked for my username & password, and for a few tries it threw me off, but then I just tried the login info for my PC, and it worked.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
N

nicknamefij

ok i've read over these a million times. there is nothing to help with a solution to this problem.

i can connect on other computers no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so that's like supper-speed piracy right?

No...Who said he didn't get them legitimately?

You are allowed by iTunes to share your Media on upto 5 different Computers. No Copyright Infringement here, people are over-cautious of copyright law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
No...Who said he didn't get them legitimately?

You are allowed by iTunes to share your Media on upto 5 different Computers. No Copyright Infringement here, people are over-cautious of copyright law.

I didn't say he didn't get the content legitimately. It's not so much the copyright so much as EULA though. Either way...
and that would put him one more machine down on his 5 machines(leaving 3). And that's assuming he actually bought any of it on iTunes. And or weather they were all imported from CDs he actually owned, and not library CDs. :yinyang:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.