Transfer Photos from External Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6 3GB
I have a Seagate external drive that has photos stored on it. I placed the photos there from my PC.

I thought I had transfered some pic's to Lightroom on my Mac Pro but once I had removed the drive from the Mac (USB ) the Mac no longer will recognize the drive ( the error message say's something like cannot read this disk ) and the pictures seem like they didn't actually import into lightroom. I can't edit them.

What's up?

thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Is it possible that like iPhoto, all Lightroom imports is pointers to the photos? In this case, you would need the hard drive to remain in place to use them. You may wish to plug the drive in again, manually copy the files to a folder on the internal hard drive, disconnect the external, and THEN use Lightroom to import the photos. I bet that this works better.

I also suspect that, like iPhoto, there is probably an option to have Lightroom import the full photo, not just a link to it. I don't have Lightroom, so I can't check.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.