Parallels - can't copy from Windows XP virtual machine and paste to Mac Pro

I

ithacalaw

My newly purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac was defective - forced my Mac Pro to restart/crashed when I launced Windows XP Pro. Parallels told me to upgrade the version:

http://download.parallels.com/GA/Par...940-Mac-en.dmg

This worked fine, but when I run a new copy of Windows XP pro as a virtual machine I cannot copy or cut from any application in the Windows XP pro virtual machine and paste to my Mac Pro. When I look at the synchronization tools clipboard the selected/copied text is there ready to be pasted. Nothing happens when I go to applications on my Mac Pro machine and paste. I have tried this with several applications (including Word).

HOWEVER: The reverse is not true. I can readily copy from Mac Pro and paste to applications in the Windows XP Pro virtual machine!

What am I doing wrong.? Is there something I need to toggle on the Mac Pro or on the virtual machine? Have I not switched something on correctly on the virtual machine (synchronization is enabled).

I purchased this software for this express purpose - being able to copy from RDC and other applications on Windows XP pro to my Mac Pro. Hence, this is now a very useful piece of software. On the plus side - Windows XP pro VM RUNS VERY FAST!

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER.

OP
G

Guardian

Have you formatted your windows as fat or ntfs, I think I have read that it needs to be Fat

OP
I

ithacalaw

Guardian said:
Have you formatted your windows as fat or ntfs, I think I have read that it needs to be Fat
ntfs - I hope this is the problem. How do I reformat - do I have to reinstall Windows or is there a quicker fix?

I am very grateful for your reply. :spook:

OP
I

ithacalaw

I reinstalled XP using FAT32. I thought it would work - but it didn't. How do you look a the Mac clipboard and change its settings? I wonder if it is a problem at the Mac end and not at the virtual XP end,.

OP
I

ithacalaw

Final word: I was trying to paste into Word on Mac Pro - which was a heritage version (i.e. running Rosetta). When I opened up Mail - it cut and pasted just fine!

Next, I closed the FAT32 virtual machine and opened the ntfs virtual machine. Guess what? it also pasted into Mail.

So this is a problem of Word under rosetta.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.