Slow file copy only on ethernet from windows xp network share

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I have a strange problem, when ever I try to copy a file from a windows xp share on my home network it goes VERY slow, and its only when I am using ethernet in OSX, if I use wifi it goes alot faster, if I use Bootcamp to boot into windows on my MacBook the ethernet works fine.

Any ideas what I can do to to fix this, There has to be a way to reset the ethernet driver in OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This sounds like your ethernet link has set itself to 10 Mbps instead of the 100 Mbps (or 1000 Mbps) it is capabile of. I am not sure how to check and reset this on a Mac. Can anyone help?

OP
Noxian
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac57 said:
This sounds like your ethernet link has set itself to 10 Mbps instead of the 100 Mbps (or 1000 Mbps) it is capabile of. I am not sure how to check and reset this on a Mac. Can anyone help?
I have already tried all the possible settings for the transfer rate including half and full duplex, I also checked it on my PC,

It also seems the slow connectivity is only when coping files from one of my xp machines.

OP
Noxian
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I fixed the problem, Its a strange fix but it worked none the less

I had to reinstall the nic drivers on my XP desktop, then attempt connect to the network share on my MacBook, OS X said that the alias was broken and asked if I wanted to delete it I said yes, It then gave me a error saying I didnt have permisions, I then tried connecting to the share again, this time it was back at full speed, about 2-3 minutes to copy a 700meg file vs the 30-40 minutes I was getting before.

The strange thing is I tried uninstalling the nic then rebooting last night on my xp machine but I guess that didnt do the same as choosing update the drivers :S

Dont ask my why that fixed it but it did, I am sure if I was to talk to someone at apple they would tell me some cache or config file was corrupted and would give me a simple fix for it but oh well.

BTW I love fixing computers, Apple OS X or XP based :)

OP
Noxian
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so the problem came back, I tried doing the same thing I did before but it didn't fix it :( Can anyone tell me how to reset my Ethernet configuration in OS X to factory defaults

I was thinking of doing a Archive and reinstall of OS X, does anyone know if I have to reinstall my apps after?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
No, no, it's Windows, I'm not entirely sure but I think the Samba interface in windows is specificaly slowed. I think MS wants people only using their protocols. I have the same dificulties sometimes.

OP
Noxian
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, no, it's Windows, I'm not entirely sure but I think the Samba interface in windows is specificaly slowed. I think MS wants people only using their protocols. I have the same dificulties sometimes.

Ok why is it slow only on one of my 2 Windows XP computers, on the same network? And why does it work fine for a while then slow down to a crawl and time out file transfers, But I can upload files to the same Windows XP computer with out any problems but I cant download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Simple question, but did you turn off your Wifi connection on your Mac when you attempt this?

I've found that if I have both the ethernet and Airport connected and I try to copy to/from my XP machine performance is lousy. I always turn off the Airport on my MacBook before connecting a share to the PC, and that works nicely.

OP
Noxian
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple question, but did you turn off your Wifi connection on your Mac when you attempt this?

I've found that if I have both the ethernet and Airport connected and I try to copy to/from my XP machine performance is lousy. I always turn off the Airport on my MacBook before connecting a share to the PC, and that works nicely.

I could have sworn I tried that, thinking the same thing you said, but i will try it again, Tonight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.