Help!! How to run classic on osx 10.4.8

G

Geoffhar

Hi, I want to play some old games that require classic start up, But i have no install disks all i have is an old g3 Powerbook running OS 9.1, Can i copy the system folder from this and use it to run classic on my OSX machine ??.

Thanks

Geoff

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What kind of system is your OSX machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Geoffhar said:
Hi, I want to play some old games that require classic start up, But i have no install disks all i have is an old g3 Powerbook running OS 9.1, Can i copy the system folder from this and use it to run classic on my OSX machine ??.

Thanks

Geoff
If your Mac has an Intel processor, then no you can't. Intel systems cannot run Classic.

Jem

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
If your Mac has an Intel processor, then no you can't. Intel systems cannot run Classic.

Surely this is not true - that Sheepshaver utility (or whatever it's called) does exactly this?

I've looked at the homepage a few times and been a bit daunted by what looks like a build process and lots of other steps to get it working but others on here I'm sure have said it works?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Jem said:
Surely this is not true - that Sheepshaver utility (or whatever it's called) does exactly this?
Nope, it is true.
Apple said:
You cannot use Mac OS 9 applications on Intel-based Macintosh computers because the Classic environment is not supported.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh860.html

As far as SheepShaver is concerned:
SheepShaver Developers said:
Hello, it is well known that you dropped support for MacOS Classic applications in MacOS X for Intel. Should you care of your users, people that made you a living for years, please consider the following: either (i) bring back a Classic environment, or (ii) help SheepShaver development. The latter can be realized by releasing code and/or documentation about MacOS Classic internals. Thanks.
This would imply that even the SheepShaver developers themselves cannot get it to work on an Intel Mac. :black:
http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver

OP
G

Geoffhar

Hi, Thanks for your replies, I have an old blue & white Desktop G3 with 1GB ram.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.