External HD + USB hub problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 120 GB, 2 GB RAM, Superdrive
Hi guys, I have a 13' MacBook, and I have more USB devices than I know what to do with. So, I bought a powered 7-port hub from Belkin, and for the most part, it works great. I also have a 160 GB Western Digital external hard drive. Aside from freezing/crashing occasionally (@_@), the external also works great. Also, when I use the external through the hub, it works fine. However, when I put the MacBook to sleep, the hard drive wakes it up, and then the laptop goes back to sleep. This usually happens about three times, and it stays asleep. The "improper device removal" warning sign also appears onscreen. This problem only happens when the drive is connected through the hub, it's completely fine when connected straight to the computer. Obviously, this poses a problem for future USB expansion, since the MacBook only has two USB ports.

I was hoping that you guys might have some suggestions or ideas, thanks in advance.

OP
jerbils
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to bump this... but this is really befuddling me.

Reaction score
jerbils said:
Hi guys, I have a 13' MacBook, and I have more USB devices than I know what to do with. So, I bought a powered 7-port hub from Belkin, and for the most part, it works great. I also have a 160 GB Western Digital external hard drive. Aside from freezing/crashing occasionally (@_@), the external also works great. Also, when I use the external through the hub, it works fine. However, when I put the MacBook to sleep, the hard drive wakes it up, and then the laptop goes back to sleep. This usually happens about three times, and it stays asleep. The "improper device removal" warning sign also appears onscreen. This problem only happens when the drive is connected through the hub, it's completely fine when connected straight to the computer. Obviously, this poses a problem for future USB expansion, since the MacBook only has two USB ports.

I was hoping that you guys might have some suggestions or ideas, thanks in advance.

Hi, try disconnecting the ext HD before putting the MacBook to sleep to see if the same thing happens. I've seen this problem on the forum before but don't think anyone could solve it. If you Google/Ixquick this problem you're bound to find other occurences.

OP
jerbils
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hm. It's not the optimal solution (it's just a slight bit of work everytime I put the computer to sleep), but it should work. Thanks!

OP
jerbils
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I fixed my own problem. I picked up an Apple wired keyboard today, and one of the niceties it features is two USB ports on the back. However, they are not powered like my hub. When I have the hard drive connected through that (even though the keyboard itself is connected via the hub), everything works perfectly. On top of that, since I can have all of my devices working properly through the hub, I now have one of the two MacBook USB ports open, as well as two more on the hub itself. Yay!

BTW, the Apple wired keyboard is pretty much perfect, and I would recommend it to anybody. It's only $30.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Excellent, thanks for posting back your solution!

Reaction score
USB hub for external HD

Jerbils, which USB hub are you using for your external HD.
I already bought 2 and none osf them works. One of them it is supposed to be powered. But I don't believe that really it is.
I have 3 external Samsung HDs.
Thanks for your reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.