No IM sounds? What'd I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I've already run through the preferences tab in ichat. I don't get a sound when I send or receive IM's or when I send mail through mal (that little "whoosh" was most gratifying :) ) So if anyone has any suggestions as to what may be wrong . You'd figure after about 6months with OS X I'd have figured out how to undo anything I did by accident...not so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
do you get any sounds at all from your computer?? if no, it is either muted or your speakers unplugged.

-chris

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
lol, yea I've got sounds with everything else. It just effects I guess "alert sounds".

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Well here's the thing. I can't hear the whoosh for mail, IM alerts, the trash can "thunk" when I drop stuff in there and so forth. So any ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you reboot? If so, do you have Garage Band on your Mac? If so, open it and hit a few keys and make a few sounds then try your alert sounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok to fix this go to Applications then Utilities then open up "Audio MIDI Setup" and then set your Audio Input and Output Format to 44100.0 Hz and everything should work again. You probably have a game or program that sets this to something else and it should be set to the above.

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
Murlyn said:
Ok to fix this go to Applications then Utilities then open up "Audio MIDI Setup" and then set your Audio Input and Output Format to 44100.0 Hz and everything should work again. You probably have a game or program that sets this to something else and it should be set to the above.

Ah, Murlyn thanks for the input. However, when I opened Audio MIDI Setup audio input was already at 44100.0 and audio output said output is not supported (and I'm not sure if it's suppose to be or not). Methinks I'm smelling a trip to an Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hmmm. yeah output not supported does not sound good :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.